Travelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about travelling this year as I turn 30 and I'm really not especially happy with my circumstances at the moment but fortunately I'm alright moneywise (not rich), but can afford to splash a few grand here and there.. a byproduct of having pretty miserable 20s. No kids.

Had a look about on youtube as you do and there so many horror stories about all the scams in places like thailand and all the big tourist hotspots. I'm trying to rope together mates I've travelled with before to see if they have any travel plans this year, otherwise I'm happy to go it alone. I'm not well travelled at all. Been to Amsterdam and done all the expected stuff, been to Austria and France but way back when I was a kid on a school trip. Been to the canary islands, portugal and cyprus for package holidays or booked villas, not cheap and all nice safe places but a bit to structured for what I'm after at the moment.. I'm seeking .. I'm not so sure, something a little off the beaten track where you don't have to reach for your wallet every minute.

Had a look online for volunteering opportunities abroad but I get the wrong impression with some of these websties, as most have some kind of charging structure, or the fees are unclearly stated (perhaps deliberately, so that when you arrive and get hands on you find them trying to scam you for loads of little things). If I volunteer my time I don't think I should have to pay at all.

Again hiking or camping holidays are expensive for what is actually provided. I don't necessarily want that tourist experience with food laid on, I'm after something a bit more laid back where I can perhaps pitch in as and when.

Any travel advice/stories to tell?

Sponsored Links
When I became 'single' at the age of 43 all my mates were married with responsibilities except one.

We sat down one night over a pint and decided to travel so we took our motorbike tests, bought a motorbike each(cheap)and off we went, no real plan or time constraints we ended up going to Holland, then Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Absolutely brilliant, one of the best things I've ever done.

Hawk.my son os a similar age to ypu. A couple of years ago he went to Cuba, travelling with a mate who generally worked a year os so then "travelled". They avoided all the tourist spots and felt safe and welcomed by the locals. He then went to Asia, Bangkok / Cambodia stopping in hostels, which are a lot better than in my YHA days!
I would love to do this but am too long in the tooth, so go for it while you are young, fit and responsibility free.

One thing I will add, I was never one for taking photos, keeping a photo journal was always too much hassle, boy do I regret not doing that.

All my memories are in my head which is great unless you want to share them or look back.

Sponsored Links
My daughter spent a gap year between Master/PhD in Cambodia teaching the local kids English so they could get real jobs instead of working the sex trade. She also travelled in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and all over Cambodia. When she went back last year she says already it is changing from the Cambodia she knew. Better get in there quick before it becomes just another tourist destination. I think she's going over there to live when she's finished her studies.

Take up hill/mountain walking. Lots to do in UK although even those mountains deserve loads of respect in the winter. Graduate to Alpine mountains, etc.
You'll learn so many skills along the way and make many new friends.

When I became 'single' at the age of 43 all my mates were married with responsibilities except one.

We sat down one night over a pint and decided to travel so we took our motorbike tests, bought a motorbike each(cheap)and off we went, no real plan or time constraints we ended up going to Holland, then Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Absolutely brilliant, one of the best things I've ever done.

Do you get fatigue on the bike from long hours? I was thinking about driving out to slovakia to see family who moved there in december but just wouldn't trust my car to get me there and back. A friend of mine travelled to various places in a banged up nova, not quite sure how he made it there and back, think he had the repairs done as and when it broke down, which it did. By the end it was a push start. Did you see very much of the countries besides the roads?

One thing I will add, I was never one for taking photos, keeping a photo journal was always too much hassle, boy do I regret not doing that.

All my memories are in my head which is great unless you want to share them or look back.

I like to travel as light as I can because I hate that feeling when something has been lost or nicked, it tends to stick with me for a few days. I was robbed in amsterdam but it was only money (2 drug addicts). I'd like not to have to take a camera or even a phone but everyone I know says to take pictures. I'm also a bit averse to the whole selfie thing, I belong more in the older generation in that respect, would rather have a conversation or be looking at the sites rather than looking down at my phone. Feels very out of place these days as facebook and all that sh1t is such a talking point for most of my crowd, I honestly couldn't give a sh1t.

We took it easy stopping wherever we pleased, it's surprising how much you do see.
Fatigue was a problem to start with, until we sussed what suited us.

It was an epic journey that took us to the Arctic circle, something I'd never dreamt of doing.

My daughter spent a gap year between Master/PhD in Cambodia teaching the local kids English so they could get real jobs instead of working the sex trade. She also travelled in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and all over Cambodia. When she went back last year she says already it is changing from the Cambodia she knew. Better get in there quick before it becomes just another tourist destination. I think she's going over there to live when she's finished her studies.

Yea I think perhaps it's a difficult to be free of a lot of responsibility as the tax burden has become heavier on everyone. Money would take you further even 10 years ago. Most of the travelling youtubers I've seen seem more preoccupied with finding the money than maybe was the case a few years ago. I'll post more on this though, got to shoot out quickly ..

It was an epic journey that took us to the Arctic circle, something I'd never dreamt of doing.
North of the Artic circle in the summer is a time everyone should experience . Reading a book by sunlight at midnight for example.

We took the car across to Bergen and drove up Norway's M1 motorway and somewhere north of Narvic turned right into Finland and onto our destination at Yllas for a week in a log cabin.

A week later we drove down through Sweden, then across Norway to Bergen. We spent one night at Lillehammer in what had been the Olympic village and was then a mix of private appartments and tourist accomodation. Driving through the 11 Km Gudvanga tunnel was a bit of an experience. At one third and two thirds of the distance there are large caverns and trafffic lights. If the tunnel ahead is blocked the lights are set to red and everyone turns around in the cavern and goes out they way they came. Seeing a few lumps of rock in the middle of the road did not inspire confidence in the rough hewn tunnel. And 20 minutes of driving in a dimly lit tunnel gives a whole new meaning to tunnel vision.

Sponsored Links
Back