Do you have to be Part P to fit external lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i work for an alarm company and a customer asked me if we could fit a flood light on the back of their house.
There is no light there at the moment.

can this be done by a compertant person or do you have to have Part P.

Sponsored Links
Competent person would cover it .BUT this also comes under the bit that says "You WILL inform the local building control department and pay them lots of dosh"

A competant person should be well versed in part p.
All electrical work involving domestic premises should comply to part p.
If the installation is in a special location he must be notified to building controls, this can be done by a registered electrician who is part of domestic installers scheme(self cert) or by the person carrying out the work or the person ordering the work.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Hello, i work for an alarm company and a customer asked me if we could fit a flood light on the back of their house.

My understanding is that if it's supplied from an existing circuit, and the wire goes (pretty much) straight through the external wall and into the light mounted on the wall, it's non-notifiable.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that if it's supplied from an existing circuit, and the wire goes (pretty much) straight through the external wall and into the light mounted on the wall, it's non-notifiable.

Indeed. Approved doc P says:

"i. The installation of equipment attached to the
outside wall of a house (for example security
lighting
, air conditioning equipment and radon
fans) is not notifiable provided that there are
no exposed outdoor connections and the
work does not involve the installation of a
new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a
kitchen or special location or associated with
a special installation"

So if this is a security light, you maybe good to go, depending on where you are taking the feed from.

There is a single plug socket in the bedroom backing onto where the light needs to go.

If i tap off the socket in 2.5 and then go into a 3a switch spur and then out with 10mm flat cable to the light.

Anthing else i need to do?

also the customer did metion they wanted the spur in the kitchen below this bedroom, if i chase the wall and hide the 2.5 cable and get it in the kitchen can i have the spur in the kitchen ? reason i ask is i know there is different rules for doing stuff in kitchens.

Thanks

i think you mean 1.0mm cable to the light.

Tip: use black flex outside - it looks far neater when forming drip loops, and is more resistant to UV light.

Also if you put the spur in the kitchen it would be notifiable, if it wasnt already.

:confused: did I not see this question somewhere else today ????? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back