Do you still buy magazins/newspapers.

Reaction score
Country
Palau
I do miss the good old Sunday papers. I often had delivered the Mail on Sunday and at times for a lol, the News of the world. Not bought a paper or magazine for years.

The last time I read a hard copy of a newspaper was on a plane flying to the USA, a freebie.

Last time I read a magazine was a freebie at the dentist and always at the haircut shop.

Best online reads, Daily Mail, Mirror and for accurate news, The Guardian, FT and often look up Sky news, BBC news, and the Metro, online paper as well as the Evening Standard.

Sponsored Links
My wife used to get the Telegraph free when shopping at Waitrose and the in laws have it delivered so still read it there when we pop round.

I watch a bit of sky news and the papers

online I only read the papers that aren’t paywalled

Just been out for Sunday Times & Telegraph mainly for crosswords/puzzles, travel, & features, not so much for news

I stopped reading a paper from the Mail group yonks ago when they were reporting on something I was directly experiencing. The 2 came no where near matching. Saw similar elsewhere and gave the lot a miss.

;) I miss crosswords to some extent but mostly the Sunday Time cryptic one when my Dad didn't do it. That was long ago. Some were just too easy.

Sponsored Links
Crossword - funny, as I've never really done them, but only yesterdayi was looking for a good crossword app, bit didn't find one i liked. I'm rubbish at crosswords, but thought it might be fun to try to improve.

I don't buy any magazines or papers, haven't done in years. Used to buy photography magazines, the occasional New Scientist, and odd fitness one. But that all seems like a lifetime ago now.

I subscribe to paper version of THE WEEK for my wife, who reads it every week. I used to read it, about 20 years ago, but they changed the paper to a more glossy version and I just could not get on with it

I also may buy a magazine if I'm going away, usually at a service station

And at christmas for the kids

Other than that NO , I nolonger buy news papers

If i was to get into a new hobby, I may think about a regular magazine, I used to buy Electronics mags years ago and camera mags
But youtube has taken over a lot of that

There 's a couple of browser extensions free which get you past some of the paywalls.
They're browser dependent, and at least the Telegraph changes their protection from time to time, but they're worth searching for.

There 's a couple of browser extensions free which get you past some of the paywalls.
They're browser dependent, and at least the Telegraph changes their protection from time to time, but they're worth searching for.
Thanks but no thanks. I agree that at times it could be interesting but I stopped when the paywall kept on coming up. FT is a lot better

We used to spend a fair few quid on magazines but for the last few years we have subscribed to an app called 'Readly' where for £7.99 a month, we can read every magazine we used to buy and considering a magazine nowdays is between £4 and £5 a pop, it's good value. Like Netflix, you can share it with others so my mum, our daughter and our daughter-in-Law share our account.

You can also read newspapers on it too.

Currently offering a 2 month free trial. https://gb.readly.com

Thanks but no thanks. I agree that at times it could be interesting but I stopped when the paywall kept on coming up. FT is a lot better
FT has a paywall... That wasn't a vote for the Telegraph. I don't read any of them routiinely. but google etc searches find articles in random places.

I began, as a child - having the Me or Mee newspaper delivered to home, bought by my parents. Then I moved on to reading the adult papers when I started work, because everyone else bought them to read at lunch. I quite soon got bored with them and stopped bothering, going back to my first love - books. I also, from the 60's bought radio and electronics magazines, then in the 70's my interests turned to things digital, so computer magazine were added to the list, from the UK and sometimes the heavyweights from the US. TV had plenty of news sources, so no need to bother with newspapers. On a contract stuck in Italy for 12months, I would scan the local papers sometimes through boredom, picking out the words I could make sense of and to see what was happening back home, nip to the local station to collect an English newspaper, just to see what was happening back home.

I long ago stopped buying any magazines and now only rarely buy or read books, with so much to easier to accept entertainment to watch on TV. Last book I read was by Bill Bryson, who turns out some entertaining stuff and I have read most of his output over the years.

I'm reading one of his at the moment. I've read it before but it's on my kindle so it's good to read again. 'One summer in America, 1927'. Have you read that one?

Yep, I still have it in the bedside drawer upstairs along with copies of hard copies of emails I exchanged with him a few years ago.

I still read a variety of printed matter.

Papers-wise, we get the i every now and again.
Used to get The Times, not because we are supporters, but because we had this "No-Diet Diet" book, which recommended changing your routine and doing, reading and eating stuff you have not done/ read/ eaten before.

Mag-wise, I used to read all sorts of stuff. Started with Car magazine, when LJK Setright was writing for them.

What Car? was a great favourite.
And lately, Auto Express.

We get Which? magazine.

Books-wise, I have read everything Dick Francis, I mean Mary, wrote.
Carried on reading after his son Felix took hold of the pen.

Read a lot of stuff, but, apart from Francis, not so much books these days.

Sponsored Links
Back