Dodgy downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a bit of a problem here

Sponsored Links
Good grief.

Can't see insulation through the holes, but even if it was all buried it would seem unlikely that it would all overheat that much - had they managed to pile all the choc-boxes and transformers etc on top of the luminaires?

Sponsored Links
Delicious with a side of fried pvc nibbles...

Was it a flat roof?

It had a loft and appeared as though someone had unrolled
the fibreglass over the top of all the fittings,etc and then boarded over the lot.

There appeared to be a combination of overheating transfomers,
they still worked even though the cases were melted, and some of the boxes and wires must have been laying on the lamps.

It tripped out when it finally burnt through the switchfeed,
also found laying on the lamp, but as they had 3 plated it at the downlights in each room, we had to remove about 6 before
we found it and they were all in a similar state, we finally redone 20 lights after checking the others.

This install was a combined effort, by An electrical company
and a building company, NOT Diy.

It had a loft and appeared as though someone had unrolled
the fibreglass over the top of all the fittings,etc and then boarded over the lot.
This install was a combined effort, by An electrical company
and a building company, NOT Diy.
In another place Bluemoon said:
I suggested he read this thread - hope he does.... :confused:

Maybe a bit blunt, but I'd have to agree. :LOL:

Thirded.

Other than initial cost, is there anything better than LV that GU10's offer?

I remember them being heavily pushed as the "replacement" for 12v lighting a few years ago, installed them myself for a little while till I realised how pants they were.

Let's be constructive, guys, for the sake of folk reading this trying to decide between LV GU10's & SELV lighting.

Why are GU10's pants IYO?

They are just not a very nice light.

Too yellowy for my liking.

SELV is a nice clean bright white light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back