Dodgy European Velux Windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was about to purchase these Velux roof windows from a company called Sunlux Windows

Before purchasing, I had a technical query so I called Velux themselves.

Once I mentioned the product code (GZL) of the windows Sunlux were selling

the Velux rep basically said that GZL are for the European market only and they do not meet UK standards. Consequently the materials used are of a lesser quality.

Is there any truth to this? Or are Velux just trying to get me to overspend

Sponsored Links
I don't know, but my suspicion is you were talking to a salesperson.

Sunlux is the company I bought my loft ladder from. If that is anything to go by, it is great quality at an excellent price.

But, surely a Velux window is a Velux window, where ever you are?

VELUX MK06 1051 78cm x 118cm -

Sunlux price, £ 232.00

Velux website price - £421.00

I'd take my chances that the Europeans also like waterproof windows.

Sponsored Links
Must be an older mode.

Installation of the New Generation VELUX roof windows (GZL)
1 Apr 2014

The VELUX Group
14.2K subscribers

The New Generation of VELUX roof windows has made installation easier, faster and safer. See how to install the VELUX GZL roof window. Two installation heights are available, marked by a red or blue line. Please make sure to have the correct flashing box available before beginning the installation of the VELUX roof windows.

Plus discussion here:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1644827

"They generally suggested the GZL 'might' be more basic/lower quality, but I got the feeling this was their reaction to the GZL probably being an unauthorised grey import (though sold by several UK websites) rather than any specific spec difference"

Sounds like Velux are just doing the hard sell.

Is the GZL available to view on the Velux UK website?
No.

In the UK, they appear to only sell the following range

1. GGU (white polyurethane finish)

2. GGL (white painted finish)

The GZL comes in a pine finish

I don't know, but my suspicion is you were talking to a salesperson.

Sunlux is the company I bought my loft ladder from. If that is anything to go by, it is great quality at an excellent price.

But, surely a Velux window is a Velux window, where ever you are?

That's exactly what I said.

The guy even said that I'd still be covered by Velux 10 year guarantee even if I bought the European GZL range.

VELUX MK06 1051 78cm x 118cm -

Sunlux price, £ 232.00

Velux website price - £421.00

I'd take my chances that the Europeans also like waterproof windows.

Not only is there a major price difference, but Sunlux can deliver within 72 hours whereas Velux and there authorised retailers are quoting anywhere from 16-40 working days.

And like you said, the Europeans also like waterproof windows :D:D

@JP_ that's great info and thanks for the piston heads link.

Velux is a European company, the notion that Velux are/were selling an inferior product to that market is ludicrous..

The GZL it is.

Sunlux is not a velux brand Dakea is Velux's budget brand.
They look like an old style Velux.

Mr Sparke, did you purchase the GZL windows from sunlux in the end? They seem a bit too good to be true!

Mr Sparke, did you purchase the GZL windows from sunlux in the end? They seem a bit too good to be true!
Yes, I purchased two GZL windows from Sunlux and I am very happy with them.

I also purchased one GGL model from somewhere else (as Sunlux did not have the size I required).

If I am honest, I prefer the GZL. The GZL and GGL look virtually identical (from outside). However, the the opening for the GZL feels more sturdy and long lasting. The GGL feels flimsy. The builder who fitted it also said the same. Oh and lets not forget the cost saving too.

I would not hesitate to buy again.

Are you thinking of buying?

Yes, I need three of them for a new oak framed garage I'm building. I have previously fitted the GGL model to my house and I've been very happy with them. I was just unsure about ordering as it seems strange they sell a virtually identical product a lot cheaper than everywhere else.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, I'm going to order the GZL.

I would be sure to look at the u-value if that might be an issue, as that is probably one of the things that might make them cheaper!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back