dodgy imperial copper pipe sizing sheffield area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has any1 else ever come across old (ostensibly but obviously not... I'll come to this issue momentarilly) 1/2" copper tube. Some properties that I have seen this in are 1940's/50's private semi's and ex council houses in the Sheffield area. I have come across this problem twice in the last coupla years since moving over from the wetter side of the pennines (red rose county) where for the last 25 years since starting in this trade I never encountered such a problem.

The problem is that the external diameter of the tube is too wide to fit into a standard 15mm straight end feed coupler and too wide for even metric 15mm imperial 1/2" end feed couplers. Similarly using a compression joint isnay an option! :confused: I have coped but only just by using JG speedfits with a generous amount of lube, patience and crossed fingers! extending cutting back/altering t'ing runs has been problematic!

The tube diameter is basically more like 17/18mm or 5/8s".
couldnt find a merchant that supplied conversion bushes to suit, even took a short section of pre-existing tube along with me in case anything was lost in translation! Even colleagues from this area with whom I have worked were scratching their heads. 2 of whom are local and in their 50's!

Aint stopping uo late agonising over this. Am abroad visiting relatives in sunny Ca and stocking up on bits n bobs and gerrin a tan.

Q2? why do yanks call end feed fittings "sodder" fittings? Sounds rude to me and why are the only yorkshires in California that I can find called John and Audrey? (me ma n pa in law) answers on a postcard to.... but would prefer any suggestions answers to issue #1 more helpfull.
cheers!
the loaf

Sponsored Links
1/2" X 15mm and 3/4"X22mm end feed couplings from bes.co.uk, cost you 30p or something each.

Came across old copper once that was around same size and the walls where that thick it was cut and threaded.
only thing i could do was a 12mm to 15mm adaptor, cleaned up the inside if pipe and put the 12mm end inside and soldered it then could get onto 15mm end

Sponsored Links
brilliant! namsag! sounds like a goer. I'll have a play around with that option when I get back offa me hols

Yep. Sounds like the stuff I have encountered. Really thick tube and all straight joints were flared instead of #1's cap couplers. Course I even dug out my old flaring toll and gave that a go but that didn't work either.

Yep tried socket former too would not touch it , Shame i could not have took it all out as its heavy as and would be nice little earner in scrap

Yeah! my thoughts exactly. I've intentionally kept a short 6" l to play around with for when I get home. Bought 1/2 a doz 3/4" (U.S.) slip couplers to chuck in my box. Really useful for when eedjut chippies hole imperial tube.

There's a fair bit of this tube around Bexhill. Most people shave it down and use a compression fitting. I anneal it and use my rothenberger pipe expander to form a socket.

Have been there a few times. 16mm compression by 1/2" MI or FI gets you out of trouble.

I've come across on water incoming main. They are thick wall and about 16mm. I just use a 15mm comp fitting like stopcock and if it tight, I just whack it down with hammer. It's enough for me.

Dan.

come across this tube twice in 40 years ,,,if its the same it has screwed ends ,,, the last time i put a 15mm olive on a 15mm pipe then with pipe expander's expanded the pipe and olive,,, i extracted the the olive from the pipe,, the olive will now fit the old tube,,,, you then need a old prestex type fitting/rad tail,, the tube will fit in to these,, but you need to file the prestex nut to go on the tube,,, ptfe it and it works,, since then i have run down this tube on a lathe,, so it is 15mm which next time should go a lott easy

Brilliant! Thank-you very much folks for all the suggestions. With a bit of luck may not encounter this problem again but just in case.... i'll get all this info tattoed onto my wifes butt... As I age and the memory and eyesight starts to fail; I can just roll her over and use tattoo as a frame of reference! :LOL:

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back