Dodgy Sagem/ Plusnet Router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Sigh...

I had a router and it was set up with access control settings to disallow access to the boys at certain times.

Soon after it was set-up, it stopped allowing changes to be made to those settings: when clicking the "APPLY" button, the router crashed.

I rang up and they sent me a new router, different brand (Sagem), which is now doing exactly the same. This makes me wonder if it is the router at all.

After letting the PlusNet bloke furtle on my system this morning, he could not come up with anything except two suggestions:

1. Factory reset the router.
2. Buy my own router.

I have tried number 1. No difference.

2. Which are the best quality PPoE routers that have decent, easy to use parental controls? At the moment I just want to limit the amount of time spent on line.

The Plusnet guy reckons Netgear are decent, but did not mention anything specific.

Thanks for your help, folks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have effectively got similar already as I have a switch connected via a Cat 6 cable which goes back to the router.

The switch feeds the kid's gear (two lappies, one smart TV and an X box), except the eldest's PC, which is hard-wired direct back to the router.

The crucial thing is timing. I'd rather the router (once programmed) did the switching on and off instead of me doing it manually.

Can the switch or AP be set up to do this??

The way most routers do it is by you having setup fixed IP's based on their PC mac addresses.

And this only works if they start a new session so if they stay in the same game they can stay on, also they can easily spoof a mac address to get a different IP.

Feed them via a switch, put the PSU for it on a timer.
Job done.

Back