does a insulation risistance test need to be done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just wanted to double check as been advised by someone that i need an ir test done as when decorating i took the plug sockets and light sockets away from there back boxes, I stil left the electrics side (wires)connected. Mind you i also changed a batten bulb fixing into a pendulant one, so i suppose i have touched the electric sides of things. Is this ir test required?

thanks for you time

Sponsored Links
No testing required but as you have removed items i would check the terminal screws as they may have come loose.

Make sure the power is off and you can check for dead before poking a screwdriver in there

Sponsored Links
great thanks. Just that i had a gas saftey check done as im council tenant. and i had some sockets were off the wall but still connected and still live, i know silly of me :oops: i hadnt finished decorting and the boiler was in that room, I did advise them of it. So they were saying oh you shudnt be opening them this and that and started asking me if i knew what insulation ristance test was and mentioning house fires. I understand the seriousness and making sure the wire dont get nicked and are secure are vital issues but to be honest seems a liitle silly calling out an electrician just to pull the switch plate off for decorating and putting back on. What do you guys think?

From previous posts this ir test assuming its the same as insulation ristance test and assuming i aint got it confused with any other test. he basically said they send a voltage down near the main electrics meter and they can tell if electricity is leaking or if i have any loose connections. i assume that this is the test please advise if im wrong. so if this test is not required then could i possibily say he doent know what hes on about? Obviously he must know more than me but if it not needed that why is he talking about it thanks

seems a liitle silly calling out an electrician just to pull the switch plate off for decorating and putting back on.What do you guys think?
Yes, it's completely unnecessary.

Get on with your decorating :)

Methinks the test guy was being a little over-zealous there.

As long as you complete an EIC for the full installation, you'll cover yourself.

JOKING!!

It sounds almost like they were trying to get work off you with all that BS, Any decent decorator would always loosen the plates to get a good finish. If as you say you did not remove any wires you have nothing to worry about.

Yeeeaas did he also suggest that buy him a drink and he would do it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back