Does a new cooker extractor need a plug socket if it has a plug?

Only a very strong man would make that statement :)

Kind Regards, John
Indeed, I had a new Central heating put in a house i rent out, the RGI did not wire my boiler into a dedicated fused spur, but had the wire dangling with a 3 pin plug going into a near by mains socket where washing machine is also plugged in. Like I said, standards, not sure if people really follow any, if OP's fan was connected to a dedicated spur, he would have simply connected his new one to it, and then this discussion would not have come about. Somewhere on here, I saw how Europeans wire live to all the switches first and then take switched wire to ceiling roses, whilst we daisy chain live in and out from one ceiling rose to the next and take live down to a switch and a switch wire back up, so an owner who had some disagreement with some Polish builders, who were also doing his electrics, half abandoned, I was asked complete the installation but I refused on the grounds that it did not comply with out standard so i wasn't going to get involved, he called some other East European builders and electricians who completed his wiring and other pending work.

Sponsored Links
Somewhere on here, I saw how Europeans wire live to all the switches first and then take switched wire to ceiling roses, whilst we daisy chain live in and out from one ceiling rose to the next and take live down to a switch and a switch wire back up,
We also do the former here.

We are also European.

so an owner who had some disagreement with some Polish builders, who were also doing his electrics, half abandoned, I was asked complete the installation but I refused on the grounds that it did not comply with out standard so i wasn't going to get involved
Quite wise.

Not because looping at the switches does not comply with our standard, but because you should not be working as an electrician, so clueless are you.

So what do you call an extractor fan a portable item?
I don't.

Portable (now deprecated in favour of 'mobile') means is moved while in operation or can easily be moved from one place to another while connected to the supply.

Only portable appliances ... like washing machines ... gas cookers
97dbb6e9c29bacdb7c418f4d0306ce58.gif

Just wondered - did you reply to ydrol the way you did to make it hard for people to quote you?

Sponsored Links
OK stop making a lot of fuss for nothing, and posting extracts, if I post an experts opinion here, which said people who think they know it all actually are overconfident and think they know it all, you fit one of them.

I am not wasting my energy with you arguing, over something as simple as a kitchen hood which you think is like wiring a Power Station.

And people aren't as stupid as you make of them, including the OP.

That's fine - I too have no interest in discussing the wiring of a cooker hood with you.

Can we return to your classification of washing machines and cookers as portable appliances, or your idea that looping light circuits through switches does not comply with BS 7671, or are they more nonsenses from you which you think you can make go away?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Jolly good.

Does that mean that all washing machines, or even most commonly encountered ones, are portable appliances?

as for looping live through switches is not a standard practice. not the regs.
1) Yes it is.

2) You "refused to complete the installation on the grounds that it did not comply with our standard". Why?

screenshot_1074.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks everyone for the input -

Though it looks like a fairly simple job I'm fairly sure I could connect up myself, I'm now tempted to get an electrician to do the work as I plan to rent and don't want to put other people at risk due to some freak "accident", or get in trouble.

Presumably I don't need to get anything re-certified if they are suitably qualified, as the entire house was certified last year?

The other option would be to do something myself and get an electrician to approve but based on the discussion here I think there is a possibility anything I do would not get approved. :)

@ ban all sheds: I worked for a Fire Alarm Installation company who advised us that we must not wire live loop to switches first because of any future requirement for a live needed for smoke and emergency lighting was the main reason behind it, and since then I took it as the only standard, and assumed BS didn't allow it. So no big deal here, my own bedroom I wired live first to the switch, again I don't see any problem with wiring live loop to switches first but I was under the impression it was against the regs.

I stopped installation a long while back, and did not pursue my carrier in electrical installation, and went into electronics, so not to say that I don't have IEE wiring regs 16th edition BS 7671 and by John Whitfield. (1995) In this book it does not dictate how lighting circuits should be wired. So I followed my company's advise.

Yes it does confirm that all joints should be mechanically sound and housed in suitable enclosure to BS, but I am not going to lose my sleep over it, my own kitchen hood was wired into a 3 way terminal block by my installer, and I don't see it a problem, I am not going to go out of my way to house my joint in an enclosure.

As for whether this invalidates my house insurance, is immaterial, as touch wood I never throw my money away for useless institutes and have never claimed a penny in my life and never needed to.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back