Does adding a spur from the MCB require Part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a video doorbell for a friend, what I thought was going to be a simple job turned out to be more complex as despite the chime box being 60 cm from the fuse box, it turns out the chime doesn’t contain a bell transformer at all and is in fact battery powered with C cell batteries.

Now, if I was able to break into a lighting circuit and take a spur off a light or a cable run, through a 3amp fused switch to the bell box and install a bell transformer, this would be in the DIY non-notifiable realm . However there is no access to any cabling from where the bell box is.

If I do the same by adding a spur from the output of a lighting circuit MCB in the fuse box (I.e. wire an additional cable into the MCB output, neutral and earth block) through a fused switch to the transformer, this is electrically the same thing, but is it now a notifiable change?

I can’t decide from reading the rules…

Sponsored Links
Sorry for sounding stupid, but what has transformers/3A/MCB/neutral/earth block/lighting circuits have to do with potatoes?

Just put the batteries in !!

New circuits are notifiable. Adding a cable to an existing one is not.
As the circuit already exists, it's not a new circuit and is not notifiable.

Video doorbells generally are hard wired, as most people don't want to remove it from the wall every few days to recharge the battery.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sorry for sounding stupid, but what has transformers/3A/MCB/neutral/earth block/lighting circuits have to do with potatoes?

The video door bell is unlikely to work with batteries in a chime box.

Sponsored Links
'it turns out the chime doesn’t contain a bell transformer at all and is in fact battery powered with C cell batteries'

I am assuming that the OP expected the chime box to have been powered by a transformer rather than a battery. Hence the question regarding spurs.

I am fitting a video doorbell for a friend, what I thought was going to be a simple job turned out to be more complex as despite the chime box being 60 cm from the fuse box, it turns out the chime doesn’t contain a bell transformer at all and is in fact battery powered with C cell batteries.

Now, if I was able to break into a lighting circuit and take a spur off a light or a cable run, through a 3amp fused switch to the bell box and install a bell transformer, this would be in the DIY non-notifiable realm . However there is no access to any cabling from where the bell box is.

If I do the same by adding a spur from the output of a lighting circuit MCB in the fuse box (I.e. wire an additional cable into the MCB output, neutral and earth block) through a fused switch to the transformer, this is electrically the same thing, but is it now a notifiable change?

I can’t decide from reading the rules…

On occasion, I have used flex and a plug to supply the transformer.

Ah, I see. Twist the wire round the springs where the batteries should go. Cool !

Should be easy enough as he can connect the wires either way round, being AC and all...

My mother had the door bell transformer removed and a socket installed with a wallmart transformer plugged in the feed taken for the socket taken directly from the consumer unit work done by county council social services and in spite of repeated requests for at least a minor works certificate I failed to get any paperwork.

I had asked for paperwork as the socket would not trip the RCD when the RCD tester was plugged in so seems clear on wrong side of consumer unit, however the rules at that time allowed for sockets not to be RCD protected if they were labelled for use by a single bit of equipment.

However Part P was in, and the county council by example showed what they expected. Around 2005 in North Wales.

@Seb101 Crack on, but be aware, unless there's an isolator between meter and CU there will be live parts exposed even with the CU main switch off.
Make sure you put n and e in the correct terminals (if the MCB is 6 slots from the right, for instance, then n and e should go into their respective 6 terminals from the right). Have a look at what has already been done in there to see exactly what scheme was followed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back