Does an oven wiring require BC notification?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a quote to wire up an electric oven to an existing CU.

The quote is broken down into materials, labour, and then an extra £40 for

"issue of minor electrical works certificate" and "notification to Building Control in order to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations"

I hadn't thought that notification was at all necessary for such a small job, and even if it was then it would cost a great deal more than £20/£40, right?

Are these unnecessary extras? And do I really need him to "issue a certificate" or is that a luxury I would only need if a buyer in years to come demanded to know who had installed it? Note that I have absolutely no other "certificates" for any other electrics in the house, as it is.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If there is a new circuit going into the CU then it is notifiable work. I suspect the fee is to cover his self-certification of the installation as a competent person - which means there is no need to actually notify building control.

If it is a new circuit, and it sounds like it is, then yes, it requires notification.

To comply with the Wiring Regulations a MEIWC is a requirement, not an optional extra, so I don't see why it should be itemised like that. How detailed is the quote? Has he likewise detailed every bit of cable, sleeving, clip, outlet plate, switch etc?

If he is a registered electrician then notification actually costs him a couple of quid via the body he is registered with. He may be compelled by their rules to use their stationery for the MEIWC, and they may charge through the nose for that, but only in relative terms - anybody can download blank certificates from the IET for free, so the cost of those is a few sheets of paper and a bit of printer ink/toner.

In short, it does not cost him anything like £40 to issue a certificate and notify the work - £4 would be closer, but they are not optional, and the second is legally required.

I suspect the fee is to cover his self-certification of the installation as a competent person - which means there is no need to actually notify building control.
Self-certification is notification, it's just that it's done afterwards.

And £40 is an order of magnitude too great.

Sponsored Links
If it is a new circuit, and it sounds like it is, then yes, it requires notification.

To comply with the Wiring Regulations a MEIWC is a requirement, not an optional extra, so I don't see why it should be itemised like that. How detailed is the quote? Has he likewise detailed every bit of cable, sleeving, clip, outlet plate, switch etc?

If he is a registered electrician then notification actually costs him a couple of quid via the body he is registered with. He may be compelled by their rules to use their stationery for the MEIWC, and they may charge through the nose for that, but only in relative terms - anybody can download blank certificates from the IET for free, so the cost of those is a few sheets of paper and a bit of printer ink/toner.

In short, it does not cost him anything like £40 to issue a certificate and notify the work - £4 would be closer, but they are not optional, and the second is legally required.

Materials are listed to the penny (£34.38, but I think I could price them for £5 or so - whatever) and labour at a nearest-ten-pounds figure. The other two items are then £20 each.

The quote overall is 50% higher than two others I received, BUT he is the only one so far willing to work with my existing/old CU (https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/is-this-cu-still-alright-usable.494761/)

Self-certification is notification, it's just that it's done afterwards.

And £40 is an order of magnitude too great.

Agreed - but I suspect some electricians factor the costs of their Competent Persons training/membership into their hourly rate, others factor it into a 'fee'.

Into what do they factor the following:

Van insurance
Tool insurance
Public liability insurance
Professional indemnity insurance
Health insurance
Van depreciation
Van servicing
Tool wear and tear
Tester calibration fees
Advertising expenditure

?

Into what do they factor the following:

Van insurance
Tool insurance
Public liability insurance
Professional indemnity insurance
Health insurance
Van depreciation
Van servicing
Tool wear and tear
Tester calibration fees
Advertising expenditure

?
I understand the point you are trying to make - but those costs are fixed regardless of the type of work being undertaken, so they naturally fit into the hourly rate. In theory, if a electrician were to only undertake non-notifiable jobs, then they would not need to incur 'competent persons' costs. So the choice of the electrician is to either spread the costs of competent persons training/membership across all of their customers equally by including in their rate (thereby penalising the customers who's work does not require notification) or to treat it as a separate cost and pass it on only to those who's jobs require it.

In theory, if a electrician were to only undertake non-notifiable jobs, then they would not need to incur 'competent persons' costs.
That is true, they could work without being a member of a scheme and have their pick of all the customers who don't look for scheme membership when choosing an electrician.

Electricians don't join a scheme only because they do notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back