Does anyone know anything about vertical radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you bleed a six panel vertical radiator that has only one bleed valve? As you know this is like having six radiators ( in parallel of course) with only one valve.

Sponsored Links
The panels are all linked together at the top so the air will travel accross to the valve.

Jason

Sponsored Links
What are the symptoms of the problem that you wish to solve?

jonnygee01 said:
Only a couple of the panels are getting warm. I have tried bleeding it (really well) but no joy.
You say "warm", whereas if it were a venting problem then I'd expect the panel that you believe to be devoid of air to be "really hot".

In your case there might be air lock, or other blockage, to/from the rad.

Have you tried shutting off ALL other rads except this one? :idea:

I know some of the Bisque ones have to have a plug fitted in the bottom connecting tube to stop the water taking a shortcut from inlet to outlet, if this is a new rad did it need a similar bung thats been left out or is it an existing rad that has started to play up?

Jason

Did you manage to resolve your problem as I have a very similar problem. I have just installed a vertical Vulkan radiator (from B&Q) and water is flowing through it but only 2 of the panels get hot. It is a six panel radiator - counting from the inlet side; panels 2 and 3 get hot, panels 4,5 & 6 get warm at the top only and panel 1 is warm all over. I have bled the system but it still seems as if I have some air locks somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated as, try as I might, I can't think what to do next (nor can my plumber).

Thanks Steve[/quote]

It's probably because your system is just not able to cope with the extra load. Try turning a couple of other radiators off. You may find a marked difference, I did. No other way out I'm afraid. System overload.

Thanks for the response. I tried that but it didn't make much difference. I have a single pipe system (which surprisingly works very well) and have installed a stop cock in the pass-through pipe so that all the water has to go through the vertical rad - the other rads in this segment still work very well so I know the water is flowing through the rad. It appears that the water is flowing up one of the six pipes and down one of the others leaving the other 4 virtually unused.

Does anyone know how these vertical rads are arranged to ensure that all the segments get heated? I presume there are blocks in the top and bottom header pipes to ensure that the water doesn't just take the shortest route - but how are they arranged.

It's probably because your system is just not able to cope with the extra load. Try turning a couple of other radiators off. You may find a marked difference, I did. No other way out I'm afraid. System overload.

Overload?!! :eek:

Try balancing your system properly. Look in FAQs

Thanks for the two suggestions to try rebalancing my system; rather than change the balancing of the system I've just turned them off - however, I still have the same problem. The only change is that two of the six pipes are now very hot with the other four still being cool.

The inlet and outlet pipes are both very hot and it appears as if the water is going up one pipe and coming down one of the others (leaving the other 4 "idle").

My only thought is that I have either fitted the rads upside down or with the inlets and outlets the wrong way round. Also would a more powerful pump, causing a higher flow rate, make any difference?

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back