Does anyone know what this mysterious device is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has recently been installed on a nearby property, they will not disclose what it is and I suspect it is some sort of surveillance or security device. Does anyone know what it could be? Should I be worried that my privacy is being invaded?

mysterybox_1.jpeg
mysterybox_1.jpeg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It could be a bird/squirrel/rat acoustic deterrent, but why wouldn't they say that if that is the case?

It could be a bird/squirrel/rat acoustic deterrent, but why wouldn't they say that if that is the case?

Could be, we are in the country and there are rats about. However they have a puppy farm in their rear garden, so wouldn't that play havoc with the dogs?

Doesn't look like a security camera to me, unless the camera is on the other side that can't see in the photo. The reason I say that is if there is a camera lens in one of the holes in the front then the camera wouldn't see much that high - it's very limited in size and angle. It would also get too dirty in next to no time and record pretty much sod all.

If it is a camera and it's able to see into your garden or your property (or a public path) then they are required to inform you and others that there is CCTV, that's normally done by a sign up on the wall. As far as I know you are fully entitled to expect privacy in your own home and the general public should know as they walk past on a footpath. If you really suspect that it is a camera and it's covering your into your home or garden you can get in touch with the police to try and get it moved. I guess it would explain I guess why they were cagey in telling you what it is.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like a security camera to me, unless the camera is on the other side that can't see in the photo. The reason I say that is if there is a camera lens in one of the holes in the front then the camera wouldn't see much that high - it's very limited in size and angle. It would also get too dirty in next to no time and record pretty much sod all.

If it is a camera and it's able to see into your garden or your property (or a public path) then they are required to inform you and others that there is CCTV, that's normally done by a sign up on the wall. As far as I know you are fully entitled to expect privacy in your own home and the general public should know as they walk past on a footpath. If you really suspect that it is a camera and it's covering your into your home or garden you can get in touch with the police to try and get it moved. I guess it would explain I guess why they were cagey in telling you what it is.

Thanks, the police have been involved numerous times, but don't seem to be that interested. They have cctv seperately, as do I but have put that up soon after I reported them to the kennel club. They also seem to know, and remark on personal conversations that i have had on my landline, and mobile phone which made me think it could be an intercepting device.

send a RC drone towards it with a camera and take a close up, if it is a camera, get your drone fitted with a canister of black spray and squirt a few puffs of black paint at the lense, job done.

remark on personal conversations that i have had on my landline,

If you use a cordless phone for your land line then eavesdropping on you conversations is easy to achieve. If they have access to the telephone cable to your property then it is even easier. Eaves dropping on a mobile phone is also possible but requires expensive equipment that is not readily available.

Without a clearer picture it is impossible to say what it is. If those are holes in the front then it might be a sound bomb as a siren for a burglar alarm.

I know what it is!!

My sister once lived in a cottage close to the motorway. One of the small un-openable windows had a log jammed between the walls half way down. No-one knew why it was there, so it became a conversation piece.

I think your neighbour, realising that you're worried that they are spying on you or whatever, has installed an empty plastic box with some holes in the front to see what reaction it brings.

So far it seems to be doing well!! (y)

Worried that neighbours might be snooping on you, you deploy the long lens on them.

The very definition of irony!

Perhaps an outdoor speaker?
Or a fox scarer for the puppy farm?

Nozzle

Its for surveilance ;) no 2 ways about it u are being watched /recorded . The question is why ?

could be the council ? have u been putting dodgy rubbish in your bin ?? or not put the correct rubbish in the correct bin ?

Have u had a conversation with any one were u have used the word "bomb" ?? for example have u been asked how your car is going & u said it gos like a bomb ?? in which case u are being watched by MI5 or special ;)branch

Any dodgy characters out side yer house ? that do not look right ? some bloke up a lamppost ? or some bloke who has been painting the same section of fence for the last fortnight ???? or a dodgy van with blacked out windows parked near yer house ?

have you made any public statements de-riding or insulting that North Korean bloke Kim il watsit ???

Sponsored Links
Back