Does Armoured Cable being buried in ground need conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

When burying armoured cable in the ground does it have to go in conduit? if it isn't in conduit will it corrode?

Mark

Sponsored Links
Straight into the ground - normally 14 to 20 inches with Warning tape above it. It has a layer of PVC so won't corrode. If it's being terminated outdoors you'll need external SWA Glands which seal around the cable to prevent water ingress.

Last edited:
No requirement whatsoever to use conduit or ducting.

But putting it in ducting could be extremely useful in the future, should the cable get damaged or needs replacing or alterations are made.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There's a specification somewhere for buried cables- short version, 50mm sand, cables/ducts, 50mm sand, marker tape, hard layer (I usually use bricks or bits of concrete, anything that will alert someone digging that there's something under there), marker tape, backfill.

There's a specification somewhere for buried cables- short version, 50mm sand, cables/ducts, 50mm sand, marker tape, hard layer (I usually use bricks or bits of concrete, anything that will alert someone digging that there's something under there), marker tape, backfill.
That is certainly what I'd expect and do...

However on building sites these days... One I saw just a few weeks ago, mains power, gas, water, drainpipe & cables for electric gates and drive lights laying on the churned up mud, assorted builders rubble like broken bricks and block & scrap concrete etc dumped on top and driven over/levelled by JCB, then ballast and block paving. Whole drive about 3x5m done in 2 hours.

Class job!

I regretted not taking pics for the unfortunate buyer

No requirement whatsoever to use conduit or ducting.

But putting it in ducting could be extremely useful in the future, should the cable get damaged or needs replacing or alterations are made.

Not disagreeing with you but I do recall an electrician telling me that he doesn't like using ducting if there is a risk of it filling with water.

Not disagreeing with you but I do recall an electrician telling me that he doesn't like using ducting if there is a risk of it filling with water.
It 'filling with water' would be no problem - and certainly no worse than burying the SWA directly in (quite possibly sodden) soil.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back