Does epoxy age in the tube?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I mixed some ageing epoxy glue to stick a magnet to a plastic timer. After an hour ( it has 5 minute setting time, it says) I let the magnet stick to a steel surface. A while later the clock had fallen away from the magnet! I re-did it with a bit more hardener. Two hours later the remains of the mixing still on the paper I'd used was still un-set.

Did it fail through passage of time or might it have been a bad batch or is the word "Blackspur" on the tubes relevant?

Sponsored Links
probably had it :cry:

try doubling the hardner and applying steady heat if possible as that will accelerate the hardening proccess

by heat i mean up to 80% used to use rapid areldite for moddeling[filling]plastic models apply to the area a bit proud cover wirh selotape dunk in water well off the boil and it would be fully cured twice as quick

just be aware it will be a lot more runny before it sets

Sponsored Links
What? Spend money when I've got a perfectly good set of tubes of useless glue?? How would I justify it?

I s'pose I'll have to because I binned the stuff yesterday...

Teh extra hardener and a day 'setting' (I dare not pull at it in case it comes apart) and it is holding. Maybe it's the 5 minute part that ages the quickest.

Thanks for the responses!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back