Does MAGIC PUTTY stuff work??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Does those MAGIC PUTTY MIRACLE CURE RESINS that they advertise in the paper etc - do any of them work - is ther any that the trade use ???or are they all just a rip off ?????
any help gratefully received .

Sponsored Links
I always carry some and have used it twice. Once to cut a new thread to hold the lid hinge on a Redfyre cooker after some hamfist had stripped it, and another time to effect an emergency repair on the pinholed filter bowl of a tankmaster gauge, pending obtaining another. The alternative was to turn everything off, both cooker and boiler for a day when it was -12C.

Are you talking about the sort of epoxy putty with the core of hardner which you knead to activate?

If so, then I've used them quite a few times and I've found them useful, the "plastic steel" reinforced kind in particular. I do not find that they work well under water in anything other than a purely mechanical situation - i.e. they will work as a backnut on a thread etc. but I would not rely on them to stick to the inside of a water tank except as a very temporary emergency plug. They are good (but expensive) as a filler for such jobs as smoothing chipped screwdriver handles etc.

The most demanding thing I've used it for is as an emergency bleed nipple (very similar to a tyre valve dust cap) on my wife's car thermostat housing. It withstood temperature and pressure for a couple of weeks until a proper replacement was found.

Sponsored Links
I've used Devcon epoxy putty to repair a frost cracked block on an old Fergie tractor......much to my surprise its still holding!
Conditions need to be ideal though.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back