does MDF vary in quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just made a pair of wardrobe panel doors, BUT the edges really chip/bruise up easily. I was just wondering whether there's different grades of the stuff.

Sponsored Links
yes! as I understand it theres an mdf called router mdf that routs nicely. I recently used some standard mdf and it was really horrible and wooly on the edges (sounds like yours) . I've used green mdf (moisture resistant) in the past and that finished really nice and hard on the edges. So yes theres a few different types around...

Jeez, ain't life great! why do we all have to learn the hard way, I've spent hours making the suckers,,they've warped and their edges are like a bit of plasticine. To be honest, I can't be bothered with the hours and hours of trying to get a good paint finish on them cos as they say in the movies.............'ya can't polish a *urd'

For my own education and that of anyone reading this post, are there only 2 grades, my plasticine stuff and the green water resistant stuff?

Not had a problem with mdf if it's soft on the edges it usually indicates it has been damp , the fibres then expand.

Sponsored Links
Cheap shed bought MDF can be very soft, I always use the MR (Moisture resistant) MDF by either Medite or Caber its far better for the extra couple of quid. Even standard MDF from Medite called "premier" is miles softer than their MR.

J

Various types of MDF commercially available are as follows:

Lightweight (Density approx 600kg/m3)
Standard (Density approx 710kg/m3)
Deep Route (Density approx 780kg/m3)
MR (Density approx 760kg/m3)

Merchants used to (99% of the time at least anyway) keep a full density, standard grade MDF for their stock- and this is what found its way on to the workshop floors of you boys out there. A few years ago Medite revamped their 'standard' MDF and rebranded it as Medite "Premier", when infact what they had done is reduce the density of the board to around the 650kg/m3 mark. This lower density board was more or less accepted by the marketplace and the next step was for Merchants to go one better and start taking lightweight MDF for their stock board, this happens in the vast, vast majority of places and generally it is accepted.

As lightweight is traded at a lower level than standard grade it has been known for certain areas of the trade to interchange light and standard and not be completely transparent about what they are doing. Of the domestic manufacturers only Kronospan mark their lightweight MDF so it can be visually told apart from other boards, this is done by means of an orange stripe sprayed down the pack after manufacture. The only other way for anybody but those with a very keen trained eye to visually tell if you are looking at a pack of lightweight or standard is the pack quantity, but many merchants are now wise to this too.

Up until about 4 years ago lightweight MDF was traded as a premium product and sold for more money than standard - its lower weight been seen as an advantage in marketplace, but nowadays its the opposite.

Yes there are different qualities of board but if you have already made your doors but not painted or stained them yet, all is not lost as you can apply a couple of coats of PVA glue to the edges which will hold the fibres together and help resist bruising.
Steve.

This answers an irritating query for me.

About 15 years ago I made, out of MDF and from scratch, an American style lorry complete with a flatbed trailer and a tipping container trailer. It had opening doors, bonnet, minature engine with even a rotating fan on it. It was scaled to fit Duplo figures and as a toy for my son. It's still going, in one piece. :D

It was easy to work with, even lending itself to some delicate work on a modellers bandsaw, involving tight twists and turns like a jigsaw puzzle.

Since then I've bought MDF and have had hell's work trying to get the same detail and edging on whatever I'm making, it keeps fluffing up. Yet when I ask in the shop, usually BandQ, I'm told that it's the same MDF as ever.

Next time I'll know to ask for MR grade. :rolleyes:

yes! as I understand it theres an mdf called router mdf that routs nicely.
It's actually called "deep rout MDF" and I can tell you now that very few distributors stock it, let alone merchants (one used to be Lawcris in Leeds). On the rare occasions I could get it when I ran a shop we had to order it by the pack (20 or more sheets, or 1 tonne) in 18mm. Never managed to get any other thicknesses because we were informed that other thicknesses are mill quotes (i.e. 3 container loads). Unlike MR it is not moisture resistant

The consequence is that I just tend to just use MR-MDF because my local timber yard carries that in 18mm and 25mm as well as being able to get a few other thicknesses as well (providing I'll wait for a stock order, once a fortnight). The edge quality is much of a muchness and far better than B&Q or Wickes MDF

I usually use 6mm or so for panelling, but am finding it difficult to use the fluffy rubbish at B and Q now.
Is MR or router MDF available in 6mm?

Yes. I've just looked at the Peter Benson website, another supplier up North, and they quote Caberwood MR-MDF in 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 22, 25 and 30mm. They also offer cut to size (on their beam saw) as well as CNC routing. If you're in the North West they're a starter. In Yorkshire I'd contact Lawcris in Leeds. Somerset I'm not so usre about, though. Why not ring Norbord, the manufacturers of Caberwood, and ask them?

Yes. I've just looked at the Peter Benson website, another supplier up North, and they quote Caberwood MR-MDF in 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 22, 25 and 30mm. They also offer cut to size (on their beam saw) as well as CNC routing. If you're in the North West they're a starter. In Yorkshire I'd contact Lawcris in Leeds. Somerset I'm not so usre about, though. Why not ring Norbord, the manufacturers of Caberwood, and ask them?

things have moved on a touch - Caber (Norbord) now produce a lightweight MR grade now...... Ask the distributor/merchant to confirm its full density and not LW MR mdf if you are routing/CNC ing or doing anything else more demanding or going into the core of the board.

If you are using 6mm you should be OK if you use Kronospan. Krono make the 6mm is HDF (high density) they make it for laminate flooring core so its a higher spec board.

As far as I am aware Kronospan do the Selco contract, so any 6mm from them should be HDF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back