Does metal halide count as low energy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to get enough low energy sources into a new refurb. but the rooms are really big and very high ceilings (up to the rafters) I've tried CFL lamps and they don't make a dent in it. I wanted to try 70W metal halide but I don't know if these qualify as low energy fittings. Any ideas?
Also, what equivalent tungsten would be the same as a 70W halide?
Cheers
Andy.

Sponsored Links
I would define Low energy as where the energy used in the main does the job it is designed to do. And any discharge lamp used for illumination I would says fits into that criteria. I replaced the 500w tungsten halogen lamps with 70W metal halide and it seemed to light the area better outside but indoors ceiling height is very important and with a 10 foot ceiling we replaced the florescent with 150 watt low bay and it was a failure but with 20 foot ceiling they were great. Selecting correct lighting is an art and I would not consider myself as much good. For lighting biggest energy saving has to be to paint all walls white and then ban all smoking so keeping them white. But that does not seem to be part of the energy package that is pushed. I am told our eyes are not receptive to all colours with equal amount so the yellow sodium street lights allow us to see better where we walk than the blue mercury lamps but the reflective waist coats do not work with sodium light. So now we move into colour correction etc.
Eric

MH are a discharge lamp, they give out more light per watt than their tungsten counterparts. You'll have to ask your LABC if they would count them, be aware that they do take a few minutes to come up to brightness when switched on.
As a rough guide I'd say a 70w is equivalent to a 300w halogen, however the only real way to tell is to try it.

I believe Part L defines it as 40 lumens per Watt or better.

Sponsored Links
Hey, thanks for the replies guys. Of, course, I'm stupid, why didn't I go to part L in the first place? Duh! I'm sure your right it's 40 lumens per watt.
Lyco have some lovely semi industrial display lamps which would be perfect for the job.
Cheers
Andy

Yes, it's 40 lumens/watt

Metal Halide: 60 to 120 lm/W
LED: 30 to 60 lm/W
HP Sodium: 60 to 140 lm/W
CFL: 44 to 80 lm/W
Halogen: 12 to 30 lm/W
Incandescent: 7 to 24 lm/W

PA_46_2T.gif

Correction factors applied to conventional values of lumens
per watt yield a value for pupil lumens per watt, which is a
measure of how effectively the eye sees the light that is
emitted. The pupil is more receptive to light at the blue end
of the spectrum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back