Does my ceiling light need to be earthed?

Sponsored Links
read all the posts fella
I have, so I will ask the question agian.
Why have you made the connections of this circuit to these fittings, without individually sleeving each individual CPC?

Could anyone point me in the right direction of how you go about replacing this ceiling rose:
http://www.pegways.com/_al/ceiling rose.jpg
If we ignore the brown and blue flex of the lampholder.
Looks like you have:
4 browns
4 blues
and hopefully 4 CPC (earths) might be 2 X 2 cores in 1 sleeve?
So you have a blue going to the brown flex side of the fitting (that should be sleeved or marked up brown as the switch live) So mark that up. Also you have another brown cable there( this will be going to the live side of your second light) These two cables should be terminated at the live side of your new fitting.
The other three blues at blue flex side of fitting, will be neutrals (one in, one out and the third going to the second light on the neutral side)
These all belong in the neutral port on your new fitting.
Then you have three brown cables in the central loop of the current existing fitting (one in, one out, one to the switch) they should all be terminated together in the spare terminal block.
Finally all the CPCs to the earth terminal on the new fitting, all four should be sleeved green and yellow individually, not paired up in one sleeve.
That should do it!
[/quote]

read all the posts fella
I have, so I will ask the question agian.
Why have you made the connections of this circuit to these fittings, without individually sleeving each individual CPC?

Could anyone point me in the right direction of how you go about replacing this ceiling rose:
http://www.pegways.com/_al/ceiling rose.jpg
If we ignore the brown and blue flex of the lampholder.
Looks like you have:
4 browns
4 blues
and hopefully 4 CPC (earths) might be 2 X 2 cores in 1 sleeve?
So you have a blue going to the brown flex side of the fitting (that should be sleeved or marked up brown as the switch live) So mark that up. Also you have another brown cable there( this will be going to the live side of your second light) These two cables should be terminated at the live side of your new fitting.
The other three blues at blue flex side of fitting, will be neutrals (one in, one out and the third going to the second light on the neutral side)
These all belong in the neutral port on your new fitting.
Then you have three brown cables in the central loop of the current existing fitting (one in, one out, one to the switch) they should all be terminated together in the spare terminal block.
Finally all the CPCs to the earth terminal on the new fitting, all four should be sleeved green and yellow individually, not paired up in one sleeve.
That should do it!
[/quote]

you'd have to take that up with taylor woodrow and their contractors. ive just used what was already there.

you'd have to take that up with taylor woodrow and their contractors. ive just used what was already there.
Why should I do that?
You asked for the right way to do this, I pointed out how it should be done correctly.
You ignored it.
Do you not have any self pride and want to use the right methods, in the work you attempt to carry out?

Sponsored Links
Why should I do that?
You asked for the right way to do this, I pointed out how it should be done correctly.
You ignored it.
Do you not have any self pride and want to use the right methods, in the work you attempt to carry out?

lol pride in sticking a light up. you need to get out more. my main objective was leaving it safe which it will be once the city and guilds monkey has fleeced me for £150 tomorrow. And then who knows cos usually these monkeys are also cowboys.

Why should I do that?
You ignored it.

lol pride in sticking a light up. you need to get out more. my main objective was leaving it safe

lol pride in sticking a light up. you need to get out more. my main objective was leaving it safe which it will be once the city and guilds monkey has fleeced me for £150 tomorrow. And then who knows cos usually these monkeys are also cowboys.
:?:

lol pride in sticking a light up. you need to get out more.
Don't quite get that, what is not to be proud of completing a job, knowing you have done it in a competent way and using the correct methods. Is that not part of theme behind DIY?
my main objective was leaving it safe
Which you have failed to do, by not having metallic fittings earthed and considering this safe to do so.
which it will be once the city and guilds monkey has fleeced me for £150 tomorrow. And then who knows cos usually these monkeys are also cowboys.
Please elaborate, maybe if you had taken some C&G studies up, you would have been able to complete this rather minor task without the help of C&G educated people. How have fleeced you of nothing and given up there valued time. With the objective being to point you in the right direction, to complete this task so it is not only functional, safe but also compliant to the requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back