Does my metal kitchen light switch need earthed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace a 3 gang light switch in my kitchen that sounds like it’s been arcing / crackling when a switch is used.

Took the screws out to have a look this morning and noticed that the switch faceplate is not earthed - the earth wires all seem to terminate at the back box.

Is this ok? Or should the face plate it be earthed to the back box too?

I’ve attached a couple of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5606.jpeg
    IMG_5606.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5607.jpeg
    IMG_5607.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
The faceplate must be earthed.

I wouldn't describe it as "being earthed to the backbox". It must be earthed to earth.

The arcing/crackling is likely a separate problem.

It certainly should be.
Great are we talking best practice here or building regs? I.e. is it technically ok but best practice would be to earth it? Or should it definitely be earthed?

It’s new build house with metal sockets and switches throughout. I don’t trust any of them now. If they’re unsafe I might still be able to threaten a complaint to the developer and get them round despite living here for 5 years now.

Sponsored Links
Great are we talking best practice here or building regs? I.e. is it technically ok but best practice would be to earth it? Or should it definitely be earthed?

It’s new build house with metal sockets and switches throughout. I don’t trust any of them now. If they’re unsafe I might still be able to threaten a complaint to the developer and get them round despite living here for 5 years now.
It MUST be Earthed. It's nothing (directly) to do with Building Regulations - it is Wiring Regulations.

So is the work they have done technically illegal? Or just ‘against regulations?

Just wondering how much power I have in terms of getting the developer back round to sort it instead of having to do it myself.

I take it all metal power sockets should be earthed as well? I haven’t checked them yet, but the two light switches I’ve loosened off are definitely not earthed.

The faceplate MUST be earthed - the backbox doesn't have to be even though they will be connected by the screws.

It MUST be Earthed. It's nothing (directly) to do with Building Regulations - it is Wiring Regulations.
It is to do with The Building Regulations as I would say they have not complied with Part P - the actual Part P itself (not a book someone wrote about it) - the only actual law relating to electrical work.

1707653699522.png

Ok so for this switch in particular, that I was hoping to replace today, is the quickest way to make it safe by taking all the earth wires that are terminating at the back box and attaching them to the Earth connector on the faceplate?

The other switches I’ll have to live with until I can either get the developer to admit they’re in the wrong and fix them, or get an electrician round to sort them all.

The faceplate MUST be earthed - the backbox doesn't have to be even though they will be connected by the screws.

It is to do with The Building Regulations as I would say they have not complied with Part P - the actual Part P itself (not a book someone wrote about it) - the only actual law relating to electrical work.

View attachment 332593
That's why I stated not DIRECTLY to do with Building Regulations as the Requirement arises out of the Wiring Regulations. Yes I agree that is the faceplate which is more important to Earth if that wasn't clear from my remarks (and ideally also a link to the backbox from the faceplate (with the connections being at the faceplate end)).

That's why I stated not DIRECTLY to do with Building Regulations as the Requirement arises out of the Wiring Regulations. Yes I agree that is the faceplate which is more important to Earth if that wasn't clear from my remarks (and ideally also a link to the backbox from the faceplate (with the connections being at the faceplate end)).
Thanks for the reply. I’m emailing the developer as we speak.

Do you happen to the have the relevant section in Wiring regulations to hand that I could include in the email?

Shoddy work by the developer

Suggest you make a written polite request asking them to come and check / resolve on all face plates.

Do let us know what they say

The other switches I’ll have to live with until I can either get the developer to admit they’re in the wrong and fix them, or get an electrician round to sort them all
If the Earth in sockets has been taken to the back box and not to the Earth terminal on the socket then that error must be corrected as soon as possible.

If that error exists then in the event of a fault in an appliance the Earth current will have to flow from socket to Earth through the fixing screws. This may limit the fault current to a level that does not trip the MCB but does cause significant heating in the back box.

I accept that the RCD if fitted should cut the supply to the fault.

Thanks for the reply. I’m emailing the developer as we speak.

Do you happen to the have the relevant section in Wiring regulations to hand that I could include in the email?

If the developer doesn't know that metal face plates need to be earthed then suggest that you tell them that you will report the electrician that signed off the work

I take it all metal power sockets should be earthed as well?
All sockets (plastic or metal) must have the earth terminal connected for the appliance that plugs into it. If it has a metal faceplate this will already be connected to the earth terminal.

Shoddy work by the developer

Suggest you make a written polite request asking them to come and check / resolve on all face plates.

Do let us know what they say
Thanks. I’ve emailed them. Will see what they come back with. Sweet FA if memory serves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back