Does my metal kitchen light switch need earthed?

OK, but what does the abbreviation stand for?

If a switch faceplate was not metal, even though it looked like metal, then (a) it probably wouldn't have an earth terminal and (b) even if it did have an earth terminal(connected to what?) it would do no harm to earth it. In practice, I would imagine that the presence of an earth terminal, connected to the material of the faceplate, in a switch will virtually always mean that it is metal,and needs to be earthed.
No idea, google comes up with physical vapour deposition, which seems closest. All I know is that on mine, there is no electrical continuity when using the two prong test.

Sponsored Links
No idea, google comes up with physical vapour deposition, which seems closest. All I know is that on mine, there is no electrical continuity when using the two prong test.
Is there an earth terminal?

If there is an earth terminal, are you sure that it's not metal covered by some sort of (non-conductive) 'lacquer'

Is there an earth terminal?

If there is an earth terminal, are you sure that it's not metal covered by some sort of (non-conductive) 'lacquer'
Yes IIRC, I added a fly lead in accordance with good practice: the sparky who was doing an eicr on the property at the time wasn't interested when he discovered it was not metal, because the threaded screws gave continuity through the fixed lug

Yes IIRC, I added a fly lead in accordance with good practice: the sparky who was doing an eicr on the property at the time wasn't interested when he discovered it was not metal, because the threaded screws gave continuity through the fixed lug
Well, if it were metal, then many/most would probably say that it was 'good practice' to earth it with a fly lead but, if it were plastic, doing so would obviously be an unnecessary/pointless practice!

If there was an earth terminal and if the plate was not metal, then can but presume that the terminal could only have been put ther as a 'parking place' for thee CPC - but I can't say I can recall ever having seen that with a switch. Just to be clear/certain , I presume that we are talking about a switch, and not a socket/FCU/whatever,are we ?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, if it were metal, then many/most would probably say that it was 'good practice' to earth it with a fly lead but, if it were plastic, doing so would obviously be an unnecessary/pointless practice!

If there was an earth terminal and if the plate was not metal, then can but presume that the terminal could only have been put ther as a 'parking place' for thee CPC - but I can't say I can recall ever having seen that with a switch. Just to be clear/certain , I presume that we are talking about a switch, and not a socket/FCU/whatever,are we ?

Kind Regards, John
I imagine it was coated metal, but replaced now with plastic socket face plate

I imagine it was coated metal, but replaced now with plastic socket face plate
I'm getting confused now :)

If it was 'coated metal', then presumably it did ned to be earthed, since I don't think one should/could 'trust thee coating' to make it safe - but I thought you were talking about faceplates that looked like metal, but weren't?

. ... but, as for the ('replacement') 'plastic socket face plate', that obviously would require an earth connection.

Yet another thread completed ruined ................
Show me the perfect thread, a forum is as much about the regular members chatting as it is about problem solving. A bit like work colleagues, there’s the customers and the craic.

I'm getting confused now :)

If it was 'coated metal', then presumably it did ned to be earthed, since I don't think one should/could 'trust thee coating' to make it safe - but I thought you were talking about faceplates that looked like metal, but weren't?

. ... but, as for the ('replacement') 'plastic socket face plate', that obviously would require an earth connection.
Likewise

I still do wonder whether the switches you postulated actually exist - i.e. one which look like metal, but aren't and which havee an eartyh terminal. I personally cannot recall having ever seen one (certainly in terms of 'light switches'.

In any event,as I've said,it doesn't really matter, since if there is an earth terminal (presumably 'for parking') which is only connected to plastic, it makes no difference whether one connects it to earth or not.

Kind Regards, John

Show me the perfect thread, a forum is as much about the regular members chatting as it is about problem solving. A bit like work colleagues, there’s the customers and the craic.
Quite so - and, ironically, there are some people who seem to have nothing better to do than to post countless messages which say nothing other than moans about that chatting.

It's probably at its worst when, as here, the moaning is very largely directed at one person. In forums where I have 'powers', someone who persisted (after warnings) with such 'bullying'/'victimisation' would be thrown out ;)

Kind Regards, John

Quite so - and, ironically, there are some people who seem to have nothing better to do than to post countless messages which say nothing other than moans about that chatting.

It's probably at its worst when, as here, the moaning is very largely directed at one person. In forums where I have 'powers', someone who persisted (after warnings) with such 'bullying'/'victimisation' would be thrown out ;)

Kind Regards, John
On a related issue I have no idea how forum moderation works, whether the owners do it or posters are recruited or paid but there seems to be a complete absence of it atm.

On a related issue I have no idea how forum moderation works, whether the owners do it or posters are recruited or paid but there seems to be a complete absence of it atm.
I can't tell you for sure about this one, but the usual situation is that moderators (or whatever they are called in a particular forum) and 'managers' are usually recruited from posters, and are unpaid 'volunteers'. 'Owners' of forums, other than very small ones, do not usually get very involved ion day-to-day 'moderation' but are often involved in making 'final decisions' about issues such as 'banning' people.

That's how it works in all of the forums whose management I'm involved with, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

Disagree 100%.

The OP isn't interested in the views being debated and debated like some of you do. They want a simple answer .

If you want to debate to the nth degree start a new thread of your own ...........

Kind Regards, John

Richard - you are at it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back