Does this fusebox have an RCD?

A new fusebox should contain either really expensive RCBO's, or at least two 30mA RCD's in it.
It will be a steel cased version of the board shown in this photo. Other makes are available including CRABTREE, MK, EATON, PROTEUS and Chint to name a few.
Ignoring the suspicious brand advertising, why not just get a photo of an Amd3 board from google? And as has been mentioned - avoid Proteus and Chint like the plague. I'm perplexed as to why they even got a look in on that list when you missed off (in no particular order) Square D, Schneider, Hager, Volex to name but a few

Sponsored Links
Is it better to buy the individual RCBO modules and build it from a shell, or a box that already contains everything? Is there any real difference?

Sponsored Links
@ban-all-sheds Yes, I agree. I am just asking about boxes and the different configurations, not who should install them.
If your electrician rocks up with a Brand X consumer unit, and tells you that he bough an empty Brand X enclosure and a bunch of Brand X devices, how would you know if he was fibbing, and had actually bought a populated Brand X CU?

Without sight of the invoices, nobody would know (unless it happened to be an unusual mix of devices which they knew was not available off the peg).

Is it better to buy the individual RCBO modules and build it from a shell, or a box that already contains everything? Is there any real difference?

With rcbos thats the only way
all the preloaded boards/deals/ offers/ whatever are always just mcbs to my knowledge.

Best way to compare cost is to pick a make like hager then do the maths, Rcbos will always be dearer
Yet a loaded board with say 10 supplied breakers possibly may not cost much different to an empty 2 rcd box and seperate breakers, especially if the preloaded ones are not the sizes you need, the best deals are proberly were you pick the mcb sizes

DSCF1585.jpg Yrla here has a sort of David Bowie thing going on. She couldn't manage yellow fur though.

This one's a little closer in fur colour.

screenshot_865.jpg

But not a pure Husky. (Mind you - I have my doubts about Echo....)

It is far, far, FAR better to let your electrician provide the new CU.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that - The long term Guarantee is officially Non-Transferable, and registered to the Original purchaser only, in the event of the electrician ceasing to trade, which give it a one in two chance, the homeowner still has a valid Guarantee, and can be notified directly in the event of a Product Recall.

If a ignorant homeowner just blindly accepts what is thrown at him, it will very likely be a Proteus or Chint, as they are only sold at Wholesalers, NOT B&Q or Wickes.

That is a factor you should also think about before proceeding any further.

The long term Guarantee is officially Non-Transferable, and registered to the Original purchaser only
Really? The last one I saw has a card with a space for the installer's details, and another for the user's details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back