Does this fusebox have an RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If not, I understand it's recommended to upgrade with one, so my question is what would be the most practical installation to request from an electrician? A single RCD plug or a new fusebox?

Is there anything else I should look for in selecting a new fusebox?

20160314_202700.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it likely an RCD is located anywhere else I should look? If not, what's the best way to upgrade - install a new board with integrated RCD?

A new fusebox should contain either really expensive RCBO's, or at least two 30mA RCD's in it.
It will be a steel cased version of the board shown in this photo. Other makes are available including CRABTREE, MK, EATON, PROTEUS and Chint to name a few.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, would it be as effective just to separately install an RCD box to get the same level of protection, or do you recommend a new fuse box?

A new fuse box will be easier and neater, you need at least two RCD's, so it means an ugly collection of boxes if separately mounted up.

Thanks, so if I want the best possible safety, what features should I look for? RCD, RCBO, MCB, anything else?

Having one "RCD box" is not good practise. If you get a fault on any circuit then you lose all the power to everything. Even using a new type consumer unit like in kai's picture you would still lose half of your lights and/or sockets if there is a fault.

The proper way to do it is to have an all RCBO board that will mean you only lose the faulty circuit. But that is the most expensive solution.
You are best to ask your electrician and look at the cost. But quite honestly, if you are looking for
the most practical installation
then a dual RCD consumer unit will be the answer.

PS Trust your electrician to recommend and supply the equipment. Some makes are a better quality than others and picture on an Internet forum is not necessarily a recomendation!

RCBOs are the best, but sadly also the most costly.

Your CU is rather old, and as part of the swap the whole installation will need to be inspected and tested so consider what other updating you might want at the same time.

Thanks John, other than the wires themselves what other things typically need to be updated? i.e. what should I look for?

your installing electrician will spot things like earthing and bonding, which are likely to be out of date.

But often an older house will benefit from extra sockets or circuits, especially in kitchen, utility room, garage if used as workshop; or there might be external circuits for sheds or lighting that are unsatisfactory, or you might want loft lighting. If you are using adaptors or trailing sockets, that is a clue you need more outlets. I'm not sure how old your MK CU is, it looks to me to be over 30 years so the rest of the installation is presumably the same, or possibly older. Perhaps some of your sockets and switches are very old. Look for any that show signs of scorching. Maybe you have single sockets where doubles would be nicer. It does add to the cost, but better done together than later. An old installation may lack earth connections in the lighting circuit, or G&Y sheathing inside socket boxes. Lighting fittings age badly where they have been kept hot by old incandescent lamps (I am expecting this problem to disappear now that LEDs and energy saving lamps run so cool and their price has dropped).

If by any chance you have recently moved house and are refurbing to your taste, that's the best time for wiring changes as you will be redecorating over any damage to plaster.

edit
A lot of this is "improvements" that you might like to have done, if the cost is manageable

Last edited:
Depends.

How old is the house?

The consumer unit looks about 20-25 years old at a guess.

If the house is fairly modern then there may be very little to put right.

If the house is really old, then there may be all kinds of things wrong.

Estimated house age?

your installing electrician will spot things like earthing and bonding, which are likely to be out of date.

But often an older house will benefit from extra sockets or circuits, especially in kitchen, utility room, garage if used as workshop; or there might be external circuits for sheds or lighting that are unsatisfactory, or you might want loft lighting. If you are using adaptors or trailing sockets, that is a clue you need more outlets. I'm not sure how old your MK CU is, it looks to me to be over 30 years so the rest of the installation is presumably the same, or possibly older. Perhaps some of your sockets and switches are very old. Look for any that show signs of scorching. Maybe you have single sockets where doubles would be nicer. It does add to the cost, but better done together than later. An old installation may lack earth connections in the lighting circuit, or G&Y sheathing inside socket boxes. Lighting fittings age badly where they have been kept hot by old incandescent lamps (I am expecting this problem to disappear now that LEDs and energy saving lamps run so cool and their price has dropped).

You'll frighten the life out of him!

ooops!

I was thinking of some old neglected buildings I was once involved with!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back