Does this look like movement or plaster cracking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, noticed this appear recently wondered if it looks abit dodge?

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG-20220923-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20220923-WA0002.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG-20220923-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20220923-WA0000.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Its a common place for vertical cracking.
Can you show better focused pics of the outside of the bay?

Any disruption to the floor?
Has any building work been done recently?

Hey there, the porch under it was done in the 80s and opened up into the lounge and a pillar was added to support the floor above.

Edit: I had the porch roof redone recently maybe 6 months ago, forgot to mention. But the crack was there before that.

I've had a look and there is an obvious crack on the outside. Not sure if it's in the exact location as the inside, but I'm pretty sure that's been there since we moved in just hadn't put 2 and 2 together.

Attachments

• InShot_20221001_061047511.jpg
    InShot_20221001_061047511.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
The exterior crack on the outside corner is in a different position to the interior crack.
Does that side wall of the bay drop down to ground level or is it supported below?
Is there a lintel above the ground floor bay window?
Are there any disruptions in the bay bedroom floorboards?
Looking up from inside the ground floor bay is the ceiling flat and level?

Sponsored Links
I'm not 100% on the construction as it was like this when we moved in.

Does that side wall of the bay drop down to ground level or is it supported below?

So under that bed room bay is a pillar this was put in for the porch extension, I believe there is a lintel above the pillar. Although I can't be certain what its made of Unfortunately :(.

Is there a lintel above the ground floor bay window?

Sorry not sure but that part of the house is original with a new double glazed window

Are there any disruptions in the bay bedroom floorboards?

Only thing I would say is there's alot of creaking in the bedroom, but without pulling up the carpet not sure.

Looking up from inside the ground floor bay is the ceiling flat and level?

Yes there no cracks and looks good. See attached.

Can't really answer the questions fully as I just don't know :( so sorry about that.

The cube like form on the roof, is external to the original floor plan of the house, there would have been a wall and door into the lounge originally.

Attachments

• InShot_20221001_100119829.jpg
    InShot_20221001_100119829.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 44
That’s nothing to worry about. There is always cracking in that place in bay windows of old houses. The foundations weren‘t built to the same standard as the rest of the house so you get differential movement,

Cheers, ill keep an eye on it hopefully it's old movement and has settled. Back to putting on the skirting boards :( haha.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back