Doesn't take long

Press freedoms should come with responsibility to report facts. The Gutter Press has shaped so many peoples views.

Sponsored Links
Are you assuming that speeding drivers are safer than law abiding ones?

Do you think there is a negative correlation between speeding and careless driving?

I'm assuming nothing, hence why I qualified my post with "attentive".

Take a look at the commuter periods on the m40, as examples of why speed per se is not the sole devil.

I'd rather share the road with attentive law-abiding drivers than with distracted speeders.

Sponsored Links
<sigh> I see those who quote my post are unable to take a step back from the wailing that speed kills. It absolutely of itself does not, the incorrect application of speed/inappropriate use of speed becomes an issue but does not absolutely result in death otherwise we'd lose a hell of a lot of holidaymakers every year as the aeroplane hit 550mph. Doing the same speed down the M1 would be insane but would you automatically die? No. It is not a black and white consideration.

I never said speeding was ok, I never said I have a right to, I never actually said I do anything other than stick to the limits but that's largely what has been thrown back at me in response.

The hand flailing is why we are no longer able to have reasoned debate in this country. How about taking an objective look at the numbers and working out how to target our scarce resources? Why is that such a stretch for the vehement anti speed brigade - it is not and will never be the sole issue with driving on our roads.

What we do is tie ourselves up in knots about what ifs and then go for the easy option of electronic enforcement of the thing that's easiest to do. Has it made our roads any safer, actually it hasn't. Apart from statistical quirks (that work in favour and against cameras in certain years) they've made next to no difference. What has helped is safer cars, pedestrian safety build into car design and safer road layouts.

There are suggestions that the new smart motorways are actually decreasing road safety. Go figure...it's almost as if there is a complicated set of reasons for accidents to occur :p

Back on the subject of Sammy's van break in - why carry around such expensive tools at all ? I said this before in a previous thread: isnt it possibly cheaper to rent the more expensive tools and only carry crap ones? Would most traders have a problem with this because it would require them to work most efficiently to get the best value out of their tool ? .. can't be bothered to plan a job?

Speeding doesn't kill, it's the stopping that does. :sneaky:

I think that's a quip from Clarkson.

You may as well say that you were involved in an accident because you drove too slowly, in that had you been going faster, you would have been past the scene before the accident occurred.

The same applies had you got up earlier or later, then you would not have been there.

Accidents happen at all speeds but the faster the impact, the more serious they become.

Back on the subject of Sammy's van break in - why carry around such expensive tools at all ? I said this before in a previous thread: isnt it possibly cheaper to rent the more expensive tools and only carry crap ones? Would most traders have a problem with this because it would require them to work most efficiently to get the best value out of their tool ? .. can't be bothered to plan a job?

I don't hire simply because I don't like to borrow. I'd looked in the past at Hilti fleet but it just didn't seem like a good deal for a sole trader but after the first time it happened to me I don't leave anything in them.

I've put some no tools overnight stickers on this evening. My old man said they probably can't read and a mate said it'll probably advertise that you do keep tools in there at some point but not having them either kept thieves coming back. See how it goes.

I don't hire simply because I don't like to borrow. I'd looked in the past at Hilti fleet but it just didn't seem like a good deal for a sole trader but after the first time it happened to me I don't leave anything in them.

I've put some no tools overnight stickers on this evening. My old man said they probably can't read and a mate said it'll probably advertise that you do keep tools in there at some point but not having them either kept thieves coming back. See how it goes.

Sorry you have to go through it either way. I'm slowly downsizing and selling tools off to lift the phycological burden of thinking about iffs and buts if for whatever reason everything I owned got lifted in one night.

I was burgled in 2012 anyway, all the antiques we had were nicked. I never gave to charity ever since , saw it as my contribution to society. Trouble is it really ****ed with my head. Find myself double, tripple checking locks on doors and have had dreams waking up in a sweat ruminating on what I would have done to the person/people had I caught them. To date the police have never done anything to help me, if I do see police I get nervous because based on experiences I've had in London they go around preying on the public trying to pinch people for whatever reason and turn a blind eye to real crime

As mentioned already you can't have anything nice, and I've slowly learnt to live and embrace that outlook. On the other hand, I have developed a love of travel, and spend most of my money on that these days. If I need a breaker or a heavy duty SDS etc I'll go and rent it. The tools get looked after better anyway.

If rather share the road with attentive speeders than with distracted "law-abiding drivers".

They might be attentive but they are law breakers.

I detest bad drivers, especially speeders, and I despise the authorities that allow them to thrive. There are too many bad drivers, and there are too many cars. The preponderance of cars is one of the worst aspects of modern life. I would reduce the numbers of them drastically with longer bans for driving offences, higher taxes, raising the driving age and disqualifying certain types of people.

Our overt speed cameras are a stupid idea – scumbags simply slow down for them. The cameras should be hidden. Law enforcement costs a lot of money, and the fines should cover the cost of it. No more £60 fixed penalties; these idiots should be paying thousands.

Ultimately, we need all cars to have their speeds restricted internally.

Anyone who uses a car in the commission of a crime should be banned. Using a car to buy or sell drugs; to go to commit burglary; to transport stolen goods etc etc. I would even support driving bans for anyone convicted of a crime full stop. Get these people off the road and you will go some way towards safe and courteous driving.

The rule of law must be upheld. Crime must be punished or you'll get more of it.

Sponsored Links
Back