Dog Food

Sponsored Links
Last week I rehomed a 2.5 yo chocolate lab. Quite a big boy, probably 30-35 kg. He's been fed on Royal Canin (not sure what type) I'm told it's the best. He certainly gobbles it up. Is it really good for the dogs or is it just hype? Anyone got any recommendations?
Thanks
Good for you !! A dog person too myself but ended up having to re home two cats ......One a starving stray ...now considers herself a princess, the other the mother in laws cat as she's too poorly to look after her .........

Sponsored Links
you should try it yourself.. dog food that is.. it's not very nice.

Thanks all, you've given me something to think about. He really is a lovely dog, no real problems considering I'm his 3rd owner in 2.5 years. Only problem is finding him toys he can't chew up and keeping him from sleeping on my bed. He's tennis ball obsessed and wants to play catch indoors but (un) fortunately his ball has gone under the TV .

Chocolate contains:

caffeine and theobromine.

Both are poisonous to dogs. Although as far as I know a dog would need to ingest quite a bit to be dangerous.

Onions and grapes on the other hand are quite toxic to dog

you should try it yourself.. dog food that is.. it's not very nice.

ISTR that dog food must also be fit for human consumption, one of the little rules about it.
Personally I dont like eating it. :)

ISTR that dog food must also be fit for human consumption, one of the little rules about it.
Personally I dont like eating it. :)

well it's not as bad as the chicken tikka masala I had from Aldi on Friday. that was truly inedible.

Why? They absolutely love the stuff.

As per Notch7, it's theobromine in cocoa. Depending on what type they've eaten determines how hazardous to dog's health it is. Cooking cocoa being the worst, dark chocolate next worst all the way to white chocolate where they're more likely to be sick from the volume than the quantity of cocoa/theobromine.

Info supplied via the wife, who is a Vet.

We all love to consume things that aren't good for us, difference is we can do it fully informed, but a dog doesn't know that cocoa is bad for it's health.

Nozzle

I find that coating them in soft cheese helps with that :)

Sponsored Links
Back