Dog lover - not.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watched two dogs (black and gold Labs) mucking about, running over peoples gardens and clearly no owner in sight. I tried to call them and they took off in the direction of the main road.
I trotted to the corner and a woman pulled over in a car and said "they're headed towards the A51...!"
I shouted to my labourer to get in the van and off we went. Caught up with them happily trotting up towards a link to the A51 along with dozens of pulled over concerned motorists. Managed to coerce one of them into the back of the van but the black fella took off across the fields. My labourer managed to keep up with him until he took off through a stream.

When we got back to site I phoned all the relevant authorities and waited for the dog warden. The guy who owns them turned up and claimed his dog with a weak "yeah soz they always do this when I'm hunting rabbits etc" and took off in his battered pick up.

He'd got the black fella with him. Nice bloke.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Anyone on here that knows me, also knows I'm not a pet lover. I didn't want to see the dogs hurt or anyone else either for that matter. However, my first thoughts were with the owner and that hope that someone may be looking out for their stray dogs. It was the owners indifference and ignorance that concerned/surprised me most.

Sponsored Links
If there is a vetinary surgery nearby then take a stray dog there to see if it has been micro-chipped. If it has then the vet will contact the owner listed on the national data base and tell them their dog has been found. If necessary they will then give the owner some pretty strongly worded ""advice"" about how to look after a dog. The advice ( severe lecture ) from the vet will have more effect than anything you can ( safely ) say to the owner. If the animal shows any signs of mal treatment the vet may involve the authorities.

Did they not have a collar on with a tag that gives the owners details on?
That's a legal requirement, dogs found without them get taken away and sold into slavery or worse....

Based on what you said he said - the owner sounds like someone who does not care that much about his dogs and needs a good kick up the arse

Either way - thank's to you and your mate for taking the time to care about them and to ensure that they are safe.

Sponsored Links
Back