Dog training - how

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We don't latch internal doors, rather we just push them too. The dog understands when on the outside of the door, how to open them by simply pushing, and ask her to push, she will open a door for you, when your hands are full, but how to go about training her to nudge doors closed? She can also open closed doors, when on the inside, by catching the edge of the door, with her nose.

Mostly, she learns things by - when she does the right thing, saying what she is doing, and encouragement.

I could fit door closers, but they would defeat her trying to get out of a room with a closed door.

Sponsored Links
You've already taught her push, tell her to do that to the door until it's shut and then announce it as 'close' and give a high value treat. She'll start to associate the command with pushing a door until it stops.

You've already taught her push, tell her to do that to the door until it's shut and then announce it as 'close' and give a high value treat. She'll start to associate the command with pushing a door until it stops.

Surely, the command should be

"Were you born in a barn?"

;)

I've tried 'push', on the inside, but she just looks at us daft. We are trying a treat bluetacked on the door, just out of her reach, but she will not reach for it, simply turns and gives you the 'get it for me look'.

Sponsored Links
When you get around to trying to train your dog to do this please make sure it's video'd so I can have a laugh :)

My GSD will do the same, open the door but no matter how I try it will not close them.

When you get around to trying to train your dog to do this please make sure it's video'd so I can have a laugh :)

My GSD will do the same, open the door but no matter how I try it will not close them.
That’s should be an easy trick to train a dog to do. I might have a go at training my dog to do that. :cool:

Our FIL's wire hair pointer used to make a bee-line for our downstairs loo and help himself to a slurp. He'd nose his way in, then nose the door shut on himself, trying to get back out. He'd just sit there quietly until one of us had that 'where's Ollie' moment.

We've taught our dog 'touch'. So we'd tell her to touch the door and provide small rewards when she does, then a high value reward when she moves the door. Then repeat 'close' to train in the command.

He'd nose his way in, then nose the door shut on himself, trying to get back out. He'd just sit there quietly until one of us had that 'where's Ollie' moment.

One bedroom door, is a fire refuge door, self-closing. We have to make sure we always latch it, because when she has gone in there, she has got stuck. When she follows me in the garage, via the side door, she squeezes herself in between the back of the car, and the front roller door, to lie down - often she is forgotten about and the side door closed. I try to remember to tap, pause and listen for movement, before closing the door. She never makes a noise, just sits and waits quietly, until she is missed, and we go looking for her.

When she asks to go out, or we let her out, we let her out through the front, in at the back. The outer back door, has a bit of shelter of the door, so if the door is closed, she just sits and waits there to be let in.

If she wants something, you have to go down the list of possible 'wants', looking for a reaction. She never reacts to the first time you say the word, until you say the word the second time.

Sponsored Links
Back