Doing things properly abroad

Dont think they worry about things like that........ especially judging by the state of the rest of the blockwork. And at least he is adding a bit of strength back in by rendering the conduit in. Have you watched the meter cabinet install video...?the meter one leads to a school install and considering the way they work I think its quite well done and neat. Oh yeah safe zones................
Yes, I have.

Also seen the bedroom one.

Don't know what the rules are over there, but no safe zones as we know them.

Also seen a wall with two horizontal chases, was waiting for the middle of the wall to drop out.

Not sure if those blocks have one or two hollow sections, but either way, what happens if you want to do a horizontal chase either side of the wall?

If what he's doing really is allowed, it does look very easy, having the advantage of a conduit system that can be rewired anytime.

It strikes me as most places in Europe and abroad have rewirable conduit/copex systems, if the hotels and villas are anything to go by, and I can't imagine anyone making hard work of installing them.

PS. They don't seem to put any mortar in the vertical joints on the blockwork!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is everything run in the same size cable as that's what it looks like to me?
Looked like it.

He has downlight videos too, which involve running what appears to be singles across ceiling voids.

And connecting the transformer leads to the ceiling wiring simply by twisting and taping.

Anything goes over there.

I would really like to understand that which is the problem (if any) with the video originally and eventually posted .
The worker chiseled out and installed plastic conducts and "boxes" in a missionary wall - presumably preparatory to installing insulated conductors and Socket-Outlets etc.
(My only criticism is that there was not any "drawer wire" installed.)

Sponsored Links
The problem is structural - massive long gouged out sections in a wall made from partly hollow blocks will severely reduce the strength of that wall.
Randomly hacking at it with a hammer isn't exactly going to help either.

It seems, after a quick random search, we cannot horizontally chase hollow blocks over here (not that we seem to use them much here at present AFAICT), and that there are rules for vertical chases.

I would have expected the man in the video to run any horizontal runs in the floor or ceiling. I don't think the vertical chases are of so much concern.

I would really like to understand that which is the problem (if any) with the video originally and eventually posted .
The worker chiseled out and installed plastic conducts and "boxes" in a missionary wall - presumably preparatory to installing insulated conductors and Socket-Outlets etc.
In other videos there appears to be a metal draw wire already built into the tube, which becomes exposed when the excess of the plastic tube is trimmed.

ok its the way they presumably always install conduit but its very different to our ways so in that respect its interesting to see how others do it, but if you watch the breaker box wiring video do you think twisting all the neutrals together and covering in tape is ok.? presumably something similiar was done with the earths
PS if you watch the one with the school main connection box being flush mounted i loved the "hook" ie a bit of bent re-bar being fixed in the newly bashed out hole!

If it really is acceptable to bash such holes in the hollow blockwork over there, then I have to say I love the method, because it's so quick and easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back