Doitall and co, it's the 'one pipe' system lady (please?)

Strange you find the Flowmatic unacceptable, I have (touching wood) not been beat by a fault on it to date. I find the boiler design simple, good access to all parts, have never replaced any manifolds or diverters other than fans, pcb or gas valves (all boilers call for these as well). A service (as specified in the MIs) puts the boiler back on its feet. One time went to one that had had a good soaking from a nearby failed coupling. A service and hairdryer had the boiler heating the house and supplying hot water.

Sponsored Links
Although I realise you are overwelmed with information, can I repeat my request that you ensure your one pipe system is ONLY fitted with a boiler with weather compensation.

Otherwise, your boiler is not going to able to do much condensing on a one pipe and lose about 12% of gas saving!

Tony

The boiler will be in condensing mode for 99.9% of the time it's in the heating mode, because of the large water volume and heat loss through the pipes which form part of the heating design.

Not so!

To give the design heat output the flow and return will be at 80/70°C and the boiler will not be condensing at all.

Weather comp will turn down the flow temp when heat requirements allow and enable the boiler to condense much of the time when its not too cold outside.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Not so!

To give the design heat output the flow and return will be at 80/70°C and the boiler will not be condensing at all.

Tony

Not even close mate, you would be lucky to get the return higher than 50c if you leave the boiler on 24/7

Since the last rad is virtually at the return temperature there would be little heat in that room!

To slow the flow rate down to give a flow temperature of 80°C and a return of 50°C there would very little flow at all, about 10 li/min with a 24 kW boiler! Not all boilers would operate happily with a differential of 30°C although it would be very efficient. In any case the boiler would have to modulate back to about 8 kW as the heat output with an average temperature of 65° would be much lower than the design 75°C

Tony

You're forgetting the large water content.

The best way is as per the photo I posted, a controlled temperature circuit whereas the pump circulates the water around the system and not the boiler.

Whatever the water content, once it has heated up it will return at the same temperature as the flow with only a small reduction caused by the heat loss.

Tony

guys guys guys...

I'm losing faith now... You both sound like you know exactly what you're talking about. Seriously, am I just being mad to want to maintain the old system?

Would we be better to bite the bullet and rip it all out and install something shiny and new? I love the pipes and rads so much and I've just got this stupid instinct that the old system will work better in the long run.

But is that just irrational? :)

You seem to be implying in your exchange that we just won't get enough bang for our buck...?

If your rads are able to heat the property adequately then you can stick with the existing system.

All you need is someone who understands one pipe systems and provides a boiler with weather compensation.

Even if your existing system is not giving enough heat its possible to add supplementary rads etc. on a parallel basis but this does have to be balanced by someone who understands the one pipe.

Unfortunately there are few people who understand your system and most of those who do are retired!

Tony

Personally I think this has been done to death.

This lady has got a simple one pipe system. Her current boiler is a boggo Ideal Mexico, nothing special. A simple heat only boiler replacement will suffice, the more simple and rugged the better.

I think the weather comp idea is confusing the issue; for starters, we haven't seen the property or calculated the heat output from the rads. A weather comp system would not necessarily deliver any tangible benefits, but could leave some parts of the house cold.

Frankly, this customer does not need confusing. She has already convinced herself she has some unique set of problems, whereas the use of a one pipe in older domestic properties is not exactly rare.

The Do it All proposal is based on time proven practice with these systems, as he suggests a slightly better efficiency could be by blending as discussed or, I would alternatively consider a low loss header.

But neither are absolutely necessary, they are the icing on the cake. A strong old school high efficiency boiler will do 20 years, a mainstream Worcester perhaps 12 (both fitted with a Magnaclean or Spirovent) in this scenario.

I think the weather comp idea is confusing the issue; for starters, we haven't seen the property or calculated the heat output from the rads. A weather comp system would not necessarily deliver any tangible benefits, but could leave some parts of the house cold.

The limitation of the one pipe is the heat out of the last radiator(s) which are at the boiler return temperature.

Thats designed at 70°C at which temp the boiler will not be condensing. The weather compensation will the boiler to set a lower flow and return temperature when the maximum heat output is not required.

Without it the efficiency will lose most of the benefits of condensing technology.

Tony

The glow worm flexicom hxi might foot the bill. Cast aluminium, open vented, robust design with flexibility on temp diff.

The limitation of the one pipe is the heat out of the last radiator(s) which are at the boiler return temperature.

Thats designed at 70°C at which temp the boiler will not be condensing. The weather compensation will the boiler to set a lower flow and return temperature when the maximum heat output is not required.

Without it the efficiency will lose most of the benefits of condensing technology.

Tony

Read simond excellent post Tony and inwardly digest it.

You are confused and confusing the issue.

I recommended a low loss header and or a temperature controlled circuit weeks ago, that is all it needs nothing fancy or complicated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back