domestic ACS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to sit my ACS gas asap.
can anybody tell me if i need gas experience before i can sit test.
Ive another year before i qualify as a plumber.

Al

Sponsored Links
no wind up,
Ive been told i need 6 gas jobs to assist corgi plumber.
I beleive you need to be category 1,2 or 3.
If my company would give me experience in gas then i expect it be no problem.
Im not getting any gas jobs to do, just domestic services etc.

Al

6 jobs is very unlikely to be enough, unless you know a lot. Criteria are laid down by the different boards like CITB. I assess ACS. You'd stick out like a sore thumb; we do get people trying it on sometimes and they get sent away for 3 months to get some experience, so have to pay twice.

Sponsored Links
6 jobs is very unlikely to be enough, unless you know a lot. Criteria are laid down bthe different boards like CITB. I assess ACS. You'd stick out like a sore thumb; we do get people trying it on sometimes and they get sent away for 3 months to get some experience, so have to pay twice.

I appreciate your response.
I assumed the 3 days training would cover all you need to be safe etc.
So in reality I need maybe the 50 days (heard a rumour) required to even qualify to sit ACS.

Any comments welcome.

Al

i want to sit my ACS gas asap.
can anybody tell me if i need gas experience before i can sit test.
Ive another year before i qualify as a plumber.

Al

You used to be able to sit your ACS with a blag letter from your employer saying you have done loads of gas work, fortunately them days are over & the tests are more stringent.
Personally I think more morons like yourself should be encouraged to go for your gas quals with no experience, shell out your cash & then hopelessly embarrass yourself on the day.

I know I`d buy tickets.

There was a time when you had to do 80 hours per appliance, under supervision.. Gawd knows how you get 80 hours on hobs!

I've lost track of chapter and verse, but if you claim youre a plumber, have an rgi say you've done enough stuff with them supervising, then you do a bit of training in an ACS centre, like 2 days for CCN1 then get assessed.
First thing people fall over on is often a real live actual gas valve. If you've hardly ever seen one before and aren't sure what the various bits on it are, you're exposed. 4 slightly more than simple questions unanswered later, and the writing's on the wall. It's ok to have to look some things up, but not everything.

There was a time when you had to do 80 hours per appliance, under supervision.. Gawd knows how you get 80 hours on hobs!

I've lost track of chapter and verse, but if you claim youre a plumber, have an rgi say you've done enough stuff with them supervising, then you do a bit of training in an ACS centre, like 2 days for CCN1 then get assessed.
First thing people fall over on is often a real live actual gas valve. If you've hardly ever seen one before and aren't sure what the various bits on it are, you're exposed. 4 slightly more than simple questions unanswered later, and the writing's on the wall. It's ok to have to look some things up, but not everything.

Just because people get away with things doesn`t make a new wisdom. one of your Holier decrees on the simple task of supplying a shower, yet liberal on this a more serious & deadlier topic. ;) Practice what you preach.

The "enough" is determined by the examining board, not the supervising plumber, who nonetheless has to be able to justify what he says.
I did not imply any overstating of claims.

The "enough" is determined by the examining board, not the supervising plumber, who nonetheless has to be able to justify what he says.
I did not imply any overstating of claims.

For someone who is `supposedly` a part time gas instructor ( your claim ) & advising `joe bloggs` to `have some RGI say you`ve done enough stuff with them supervising ` to gain access to assessment is irresponsible & dangerous. You should know better.

The supervising plumber :?: Where will he be when Numpty takes his assessment :?:

He has no responsibility & well you know it.

you can sit your acs without experience with a bit of cunning,but why would you want too?If you pass,which with training and coaching pretty much anyone can you won't be employable or be able to earn yourself without any "on the job" ex.you will have just shelled out £1500+ without much potential return.Also it only lasts for 5 years so to get your moneys worth get as much experience as you can before you go for exams then it'll be a worthwhile investment.

you can sit your acs without experience with a bit of cunning,but why would you want too?If you pass,which with training and coaching pretty much anyone can you won't be employable or be able to earn yourself without any "on the job" ex.you will have just shelled out £1500+ without much potential return.Also it only lasts for 5 years so to get your moneys worth get as much experience as you can before you go for exams then it'll be a worthwhile investment.

Wise words.... ;)

Sometimes like me your forced into sitting the exam thru your own pocket, I had 2yrs exp installing central heating systems when I was laid off thru no fault of my own......my gaffer had promised me after 2 1/2yrs exp he would put me thru my ACS so was gutted & angry when let go, I tryed to get another job but most company's were after the qualified person with a bit exp, so I was forced to go for my ACS by my own means which involved making up a portfolio of all my exp & getting it all signed off by my old gaffer.....right pain in the erse it was, that was just the start...I must say the ACS was the most intense thing ive done & im sure with a bit more exp I would have felt more confident & passed some things (Failed safety controls) first time, but nothing in this industry is ever straight forward as ive found out......sometimes I think 'why didnt I train to be a joiner instead'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back