Domestic Cooker Circuit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I'm currently installing a new built in single oven.

Currently From consumer unit to cooker switch above the kitchen worktops is 6mm cable on a 30amp breaker. Then from cooker switch with 6mm cable to a cooker outlet box underneath the work tops.

Now the oven came with a plug attached obviously this is now no use due to a cooker outlet point being there! Can I connect 2.5mm t+e from oven to straight to the cooker outlet ???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Whitt

Sponsored Links
Will this be ok to replace with socket even if it's 6mm cable supply to the socket?

replace the cooker outlet box with a 13A socket if the oven is suitable for use on a 13A plug.

If the oven requires a 16A or 20A supply (common with products intended for Europe) then you would need to hardwire in to the cooker outlet box, and change the breaker in the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
replace the cooker outlet box with a 13A socket if the oven is suitable for use on a 13A plug.

If the oven requires a 16A or 20A supply (common with products intended for Europe) then you would need to hardwire in to the cooker outlet box, and change the breaker in the consumer unit.

Ok that's fair enough, I also have the 3 core flex for the ignition for the gas hob, is this ok to hard wire also into the cooker outlet? As at the moment no other power source available for this in that area?.

I also have the 3 core flex for the ignition for the gas hob, is this ok to hard wire also into the cooker outlet?
I should have seen that coming.

Not without fusing down.

You could fit a double socket but obviously that will entail some digging out of the wall to fit a double backbox.

Or replace the fuse/mcb with 15/16A and connect both to the outlet.

I also have the 3 core flex for the ignition for the gas hob, is this ok to hard wire also into the cooker outlet?
I should have seen that coming.

Not without fusing down.

You could fit a double socket but obviously that will entail some digging out of the wall to fit a double backbox.

Or replace the fuse/mcb with 15/16A and connect both to the outlet.

Think the best solution an less hassle is just to chop to wall out larger for the double socket. So If i use the original plug and lead provided for the oven and just attaching a 13 amp plug to the hob ignition cable? An job done?

Whitt

Think the best solution an less hassle is just to chop to wall out larger for the double socket. So If i use the original plug and lead provided for the oven and just attaching a 13 amp plug to the hob ignition cable? An job done?
Yep, that's the proper (and probably simplest) way to do it.

Kind Regards, John

You have to be very careful toasting brioche - the high sugar content means it burns very easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back