Don't ever believe they're not dangerous!

Thought this was worth reviving after a recent experience. Yesterday I returned from the hospital day care unit after undergoing a long awaited op for tendon contraction in my hand; comments about cramps relating to certain hand activities were getting too much to bear. :rolleyes: Recovering on the ward, I got chatting to the guy in the next bed who had been admitted as the result of a chainsaw accident the previous day. He’s been using chain saws for 17 years (around 16 years longer than me!) & was undercutting but, stupidly, used the top run of the saw & it kicked back onto his leg. He now has 2 kneecaps, a large chunk missing from his thigh muscle & is unsure how it will affect his mobility.

He also told me about the guy in the bed on the other side of me (who was asleep). He’d apparently almost severed his foot above the ankle using a MF, 12”, petrol driven, diamond disc cutter; which I think are one of the most dangerous mega power tools of all!

That’s 2 similar injuries on jut one orthopaedic ward & it got me wondering how many other such victims there are in similar wards up & down the country. I don’t know if hospital admissions gather any stats about types of accidents & resulting injury but it could be frightening just how many get injured in this way but it’s only the fatalities you usually hear about. As the duty sgt. in what I believe was the best ever American cop shows used to say, “lets be careful out there”. ;)

Posts are now taking me 4 times longer using only one hand :cry:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back