Don't ever believe they're not dangerous!

Sponsored Links
Ok I'm confused now...Thermo's post refers to a tragic accident where a guy was killed using a chainsaw and Oilmans refers to people falling down stairs. Have I got that right ? What is the connection ?

What did I miss :confused: :confused:

That more people are killed using stairs than are killed using chainsaws?

possibly suggesting that stairs are more dangerous.

However we have to consider that approx 50million people use stairs approx 20 times a day, some of whom are old, frail or drunk, so the number of deaths and injuries per use may still be worse for chainsaws

Sponsored Links
beyond me, perhaps the stairs link should go in another section. I was trying to make a point of how dangerous they can be even in trained hands, despite what some have said on here previously and despite the fact you can buy them in the sheds, but cant buy any protective gear etc with them

if people used chainsaws as much as they used stairs, then there would be less need to sell gloves and shoes in pairs. :eek:

did you hear about the one legged guy who went to a shoe shop to buy some beach shoes........he didnt know wether to buy a flip or a flop :LOL:

I don't recall anyone saying that chainsaws are "safe". I don't see any power as "safe", but winding up emotions about a tool which does things in a spectacular way may lead people to think that other more boring tools are less hazardous. If the stairs don't suit as a comparison, then look at ladders, many people killed each year, also available in sheds, and no protective gear.

actually posters have said on here before when the subject of chainsaws has come up that there is no need for safety equipment and you never hear of people having accidents with them.

You can compare with as many tools as you like, i just felt it was worth posting a reminder of how dangerous they can be, even in the hands of a fully trained, equipped and experianced operative. I guess our views differ on this one

I don't know we differ greatly, but the guy in the report WAS up a tree. That's a place no one untrained AND experienced should be with a chainsaw. For DIYers, it's cheaper to hire someone than to buy the climbing gear.

I don't know we differ greatly, but the guy in the report WAS up a tree. That's a place no one untrained AND experienced should be with a chainsaw. For DIYers, it's cheaper to hire someone than to buy the climbing gear.

The guy that was killed was a tree surgeon so I have to assume that he was qualified. A tragic accident.

both the environment in which a chainsaw is used and the tool itself, make for a lethal combination in un-trained hands.

some people are blissfully unaware of how heavy a stout tree limb can be.

totally agree with you oilman. The guy involved in the incident was a fully trained, experainced and licensed climber and tree surgeon. Im not going to try and find the thread on the subject (cos the search facility is pants!), but there were several people on the thread who dismissed the danger of them.

Unfortunatley i reguarly see diyers up a tree with chainsaws trying to do it on the cheap, no protection, no fall arrest, no first aid, no experaince, no bloody clue, but still it saves them a couple of hundred quid! I do stuff at ground level with a chainsaw, but wont touch tree work, i dont want the risk, and im not insured. I have a very good tree surgeon we use, so he can take the risk for me! I got asked today to take down a tree when i went to do a quote, only about 20 feet tall, but it would have involved getting up into it, and for the money, it wasnt worth the risk. The lady wasnt impressed, but thats life, and at least it means i lengthen the odds of living a little longer! Still plenty of guys out there that will take the risk for little money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back