Don't reset, FIND the problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It just amazes me why so many people think that 're-setting the NVM' is going to solve their problem. So many do it and it only make things worse.

It really is an 'engineer' thing to do, as shown by so many of the posts here.

Most problems here seem to be the battery, and then the resultant reset of the NVM.

Quickie.
How many of the 're setters' know what NVM stands for and what it does? I'd guess not many, hence all the problems.

Don't reset, find the problem.

In too many years to mention as an alarm engineer I could count on one hand the number of panels I have had to reset in this way.

I honestly wish the facility was not mentioned in any paperwork and restricted to alarm companies only.

P.S.

Change the BATTERY first.

Sponsored Links
Only time I've needed to do it is where access is required into the engineers menus and the engineers code is not known.

In the nicest possible way and not trying to be sarky or troublesome - Possibly not a good hint to give readers. ie how to bypass engineers codes.??

In the nicest possible way and not trying to be sarky or troublesome - Possibly not a good hint to give readers. ie how to bypass engineers codes.??
Well you failed there then didn't you.

Why don't you read my post?

Sponsored Links

And you can do all that silently can you? Learn your trade eh?

And you can do all that silently can you? Learn your trade eh?

I acted in good faith and have so far just received two sarky answers in reply.

Great. I tried to warn how irresponsible that information might be but everyone wants to act the arse as usual.
Have it your own way.
looks to me like you haven't even considered the implications of what handing out this info could do.
Learn YOUR trade is more appropriately aimed at you.

If I were a crook intent on defeating an alarm system - I'd get hold of a panel and manual - wouldn't you? So are you suggesting that the manufacturer's are wrong in publishing reset information? Well? :confused:

Europlex was right in what he said.
However RF was wrong to lead people to realise it's implications.
Are you wrong also in reminding people who may not even have realised it's significance to it's whereabouts?
Possibly

As said my original comment was not meant to be inflamatory just a genuine questioning of the subject broached.

I asked you a question. Do you believe it wrong that the published manual; has reset info? If you were a crook would you at least get hold of a manual?
Do you live on the same planet as the rest of us?

The information necessary for the re-setting of DIY alarms cannot be kept out of public domain as there is no control over what a DIYer does with the information in the manual supplied with the kit..

It may seem expensive that an engineer visit is needed to re-set a system that has come out of contract but the common / engineer re-set codes cannot be given to anyone who may then release them into public domain.

There are lots of people that would not have known that resetting the nvm would result in access to the engineer menu. Maybe because they never looked properly or maybe even they did not know the menu could be reached without a code.
Maybe because they did not install or take much interest in the system previously.
Anyway those people have been 'educated' now thanks to DIYNot.. :confused:

We want them educated. Get real mate. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In all my time in this business I have NEVER seen a system that has been overcome in any way. They have ALWAYS activated if they have been SET (Turned on).

In all my time in this business I have NEVER seen a system that has been overcome in any way. They have ALWAYS activated if they have been SET (Turned on).

But according to RF he has reset to get to the engineer menu if he does not have a code.
What would then stop someone from disabling zones so that even if the alarm was set nothing would trigger the alarm?

Come back at night break in a Bobs your uncle...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back