Don't use Slotted Screws......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started some boxing in work in the bathroom on saturday..... (One of the last jobs) all was going well, when I had ran out of suitable phillips type screws, the nearest I could find in dia & length was an old slotted type screw.... Anyway, I had my drill fitted with a suitable bit and was pushing against the screw (as you do), and yes you guessed it, the drill bit slipped off the screw, straight into my thumb nail (I was holding the batten on the wall whilst screwing) ... It would have been too bad but I still had my finger firmly placed on the drill trigger ! :cry:

What a mess !!

Sponsored Links
That'll teach you to screw without protection............

I prefer slotted screws. No chance of the head becoming worn away if the drill doesn't stop but the screw does. (What's the proper name for this then? I don't know).

I sometimes use crosshead screws but only by hand or a very low setting on my drill/electric screwdriver.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
No chance of the head becoming worn away if the drill doesn't stop but the screw does. (What's the proper name for this then? I don't know).

I believe it's called cam out.

It must be difficult holding a batten on the wall and screwing at the same time :LOL:

Whats wrong with a screwdriver, makes far less mess :p

Any old how, brass screws have to be slotted. Pozi's or Philips would not work in such a soft metal.

[/quote]I prefer slotted screws. No chance of the head becoming worn away if the drill doesn't stop but the screw does.
Actually, pozidrive screws are much more suited to a power screwdriver that slotted head. If you use the clutch setting there is very little chance of either cam-out or damage to the screw or the workpiece. This is certainly not the case with slotted screws

sorry, I got the quoting mixed up, I'm better at using a screwdriver than doing this!

You can use the
icon_edit.gif
button to edit your post.

Pilot and Clearance holes, Tallow, candle wax or even Vaseline the thread, eze in -- eze out !! .. fingers clear or lost - eventually.
;)

Any old how, brass screws have to be slotted. Pozi's or Philips would not work in such a soft metal.
I bought some nice little brass screws ( 5/8" No. 6) from B&Q to fit some piano hinges the other day To my surprise, when I opened the box they're Pozi headed. About 5% of them have heads that are unusable, straight from the box (they don't quite fit the screwdriver), and about another 5% have to be thrown away as the heads shear out when you attempt to do them up. 5/8 inch screws into predrilled holes! and they heads shear out :eek: I also had to drill the holes of the hinges larger (as the screw heads are larger than you would expect). Finally got the hinges on, all the heads are nicely countersunk into the brass hinges, but they still look horrid. Wish I hadn't used them now :cry:

Moral of the story is always read every bit of the label. Yes they are solid brass Pozi-cross headed screws.

Kind of predicable with such a soft metal, I assume from your less than pozi (groan) experience that you won't be using them again / recommending them?

Kind of predicable with such a soft metal, I assume from your less than pozi (groan) experience that you won't be using them again / recommending them?
You're right I won't.

Even some of the screws that I successfully tightened had to be removed. (the heads showed signs of deformity). I know I'm probably a bit fussy, but the whole point of using Brass screws was for their appearance. These cross headed screws just don't look neat, even when they are in perfect shape. The slightest slip with the driver and they look absolutely abysmal. It also occurs to me that, upon removal, unless you have a perfect driver bit, you may end up with a head that is impossible to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back