Don't use Slotted Screws......

Yep Done that though I was fitting some ornate, expensive door handles.. the driver slipped and I managed to gouge the base of the handle...
AND stabbed my thumb :(

Sponsored Links
One little tip that may help you all, after drilling the pilot hole use a pozi drive headed steel screw first - then put in the cosmetic brass screw. Once a thread has been cut in the timber the screw will drive in much easier.

Also, does anyone else just throw away the screws supplied with most accessories? I always do now if I can due to the abysmal quality of the screws supplied! I had one too many screw snap on me... :rolleyes:

mildmanneredjanitor said:
One little tip that may help you all, after drilling the pilot hole use a pozi drive headed steel screw first - then put in the cosmetic brass screw. Once a thread has been cut in the timber the screw will drive in much easier.
Now why didn't I think of that. s'obvious eh?:oops:

mildmanneredjanitor said:
Also, does anyone else just throw away the screws supplied with most accessories? I always do now if I can due to the abysmal quality of the screws supplied! I had one too many screw snap on me... :rolleyes:
Have done for years. I used to have arguments with the wife about this point. She was under the impression that the fittings, supplied with the item must SURELY be the ideal for the application.

The final clincher was when we bought a 5ft wide venitian blind. It was supplied with just four 3/4 inch No 6 screws, with the weeniest little rawplugs that you ever did see. Even the she didn't believe that, they were seriously expected to hold the thing up. Perhaps we should keep a record of the most "optimistic" cases.

IKEA don't even supply screws and plugs for some of their wall hanging "furniture" as it states that the fixing required is dependent on the wall. Very true no doubt, but I bet that gets some folk in a right old pickle :D

Sponsored Links
I bought some pozi head screws from my local timber merchants at the weekend, I asked the mature chap behind the counter what ones he recommended as I wanted to use my powerdriver. I was doing a lot of boxing in and fixing. some of the screws I had to take back out as I hadn't secured the boxing correctly and they were fine. I don't know what they wre made from but they were brass coloured and double slotted. Apparently most of the carpenters have started using these as they are designed for use with powerdrivers when not using a pilot hole

TexMex said:
four 3/4 inch No 6 screws, with the weeniest little rawplugs that you ever did see. Even the she didn't believe that, they were seriously expected to hold the thing up. Perhaps we should keep a record of the most "optimistic" cases.

I find that most "things that need to be screwed to the wall" work rather well with no. 8 screws.

You guys are probably like me, you want to make sure the bu**er stays up.

Frame fixings are wonderful things too: I've got a dozen big 'uns holding my bedframe in place, never creaked or skidded across the floor in 3 years. Grrrrreat! ;)

david and julie said:
I know your single Adam but three years! :cry:

Hey, I've tested my workmanship thoroughly I'll have you know! If it wasn't for those frame fixings the bed would fall apart from all the notches cut into it :LOL:

post locked to prevent hijacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back