Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a tenement flat and the door entry handset has never been great, but recently it really got worse. Ever since we moved in 10 years ago the handset speaker and mic has not worked - we could not hear visitors at the panel by the main door, nor could they hear us. We put up with this for ages but then recently it stopped buzzing when visitors pressed our button on the panel. At no point since we've moved in 10 years ago has the wiring been changed.

I thought it must be the handset that's the issue, as my neighbours' handsets were all working fine. According to www.intercomsrus.com it's an Urmet 1030 or 1130, so I got a new Urmet 1130/16 as a replacement. I installed it according to the instructions that came with the handset, but the buzzer still does not buzz when someone presses the panel button. It still has the same issue. This time though I can hear people at the panel, and they can hear me – so that's an improvement : ) Weirdly, the buzzer does actually buzz if the handset is lifted up when someone buzzes, but not when the handset is sitting on the main unit (not sure if this was the case with the old handset).

Have I made a mistake wiring the new handset? Was the old wiring wrong? Or is it an issue with the panel or wiring between the panel and the handset? Or something else maybe? No idea.

Old handset cover plate, Urmet 1030 or 1130, not sure:

old handset case.jpeg

Old handset wiring:

old handset.jpeg

According to www.intercomsrus.com, both 1030 and 1130 have the same terminals (I've noted the wire colour in square brackets)
6, 11, 10 - common [blue wire with white stripes]
2 - speech out (mic) [white wire with orange stripes]
9 - lock [white wire with blue stripes]
7 - call [white wire with green stripes]
1 - speech in (speaker) [orange wire with white stripes]

New handset, Urmet 1130/16:
new handset.jpeg

The terminals on the 1130/16 are definitely different from the old handset. The instruction booklet that came with the handset states the terminals are as follows:
1 - Incoming speech signal (loudspeaker) [orange wire with white stripes]
CA - Call tone by buzzer or electronic [white wire with green stripes]
2 - Outgoing speech signal (mic) [white wire with orange stripes]
6 - System ground
10 - To be connected to the door phone terminal pin 6 [blue wire with white stripes]
9 - Door opener [white wire with blue stripes]

(I tried connecting the blue wire (the system ground / common wire) to terminal 6 but this results in the door lock button not working)

Going a bit crazy here! Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Think it needs a link between 6, 10 as per image …..if everything now works apart from buzzer then I would be looking at the button in the panel …..also what do the instructions say about the two jumpers inside the handset bottom left on the pcb ?

Attachments

• IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the fast response.
Think it needs a link between 6, 10 as per image
Would rather avoid doing this if poss. Seems weird that the wire would need to be split to make it work properly?

if everything now works apart from buzzer then I would be looking at the button in the panel
The panel button does actually activate the buzzer properly when the handset is lifted off of the casing. Makes me think the panel button is probably working ok?

what do the instructions say about the two jumpers inside the handset bottom left on the pcb ?
The jumpers look like they're all in the default position for a 4+n system with buzzer.
- JP1 is in position 5 (standard configuration)
- JPA is in position R (call by buzzer, default configuration)

Here's the two instructions pages from the manual showing terminals and jumpers...

Instructions - terminals:
instructions - terminals.jpeg

Instructions - jumpers etc:
instructions - jumpers.jpeg

AND IT CLEARLY SHOWS IN THE DIAGRAM THAT IT NEEDS TO BE LINKED …..but if you know better ….best of luck …

Attachments

• IMG_5451.jpeg
    IMG_5451.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Haha, thank you, it does. So Is it just a matter of slotting in the system ground wire into pin 6, then adding a wire connecting pin 6 to pin 10? Completely new to this.

OK I got it all working at last! As sparkymarka kindly suggested, I needed to follow the instructions properly and connect terminal pins 6 and 10 together. I did this by snipping a bit of unused wire and trimming the plastic coating off both ends so that about 0.5cm of metal was showing, then slotted the wire into pins 6 and 10, joining them. I moved the 'system ground' wire (the blue one with white stripes) to terminal pin 6, as shown in the instruction manual. Now the buzzer is working 100% and I can finally let the postie in. Phew.

What an epic tale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back