door frame disaster (50 yrs ago)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More of a professional disaster really . . . probably alcohol induced . . .

I think the people who built our house seriously lacked such items as plumb lines, spirit levels, etc.

The picture shows the door sides are near enough vertical, the picture rail is almost horizontal (quarter of an inch in 7 foot drop). But the top of that door frame, this must have been left as a joke. Surely? What sort of builder/joiner would do this, stand back and admire his work, and say "it'll be reet"??

A more worrying thing is that the ceiling follows a similar line to the door frame top and the picture rail - it drops slightly!

with extension lines drawn on:

Just thought i'd post this for your amusement!

Sponsored Links
I did one like that @ the wife`s uncles...........but then I`m no chippy. :LOL: . That`s happened over the years..there`s a crack in the wall under the chip paper above the rt. hand corner. It`s the 60`s that produced the most Speculative built crap.

There could be a movement under the door for some reason :eek:

Now that's what you call character.:LOL:
Nige F said:
There could be some movement under the door for some reason
Yuk, do you mean a hot and steamy one? That could explain the subsidence though.:LOL:

Sponsored Links
TexMex said:
Now that's what you call character.:LOL:
Nige F said:
There could be some movement under the door for some reason
Yuk, do you mean a hot and steamy one? That could explain the subsidence though.:LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: looks a bit crooked.like a stool :rolleyes:with one leg a bit short

when you've all finished being rather rude . . . . . .

The house was built in the 60's, extended in the 80's. The pitched roof of the 2-storey extension leans on the rest of the house, which has caused some settling, and we did have a structural surveyor out last year to confirm this was the cause of numerous cracks in the walls and ceiling in this area.

Added to this, this wall appears to have no support under it, despite running at right angles to the ceiling joists above (supporting them, most likely) and the floor joists below. Though the wall is 3 inches thick maximum (incl. plaster), and is soft as a sponge when you drill into it.

Also, many of the doors in this house were built with either very thin wooden lintels, or, as i suspect in this case (very light bricks), no lintel at all. Quite shocking sometimes when you peel back the layers - what you find. And they say they used to build things to last - did i miss that bit?

I used to live in a two up two down terrace on a crescent of about 40 other houses all built about 70 years ago. All the door jambs were plumb but all the heads were between 3/8ths and 7/8ths out of level.Looked very odd and doors had to be cut accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back