Door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a doorway which have no door installed, nor does it appear to ever had a door installed. I expect the doorway has been added to the house at some time

It has a wooden frame, with a sand/cement edge (painted over) and then has wooden architrave attached to the send/cement. See photo.

I want to put a door on.

Any advice please

4 pdf jpg.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looking at the pic, it's possible/probable there was a door originally, with the sections you're referring to as jambs being the stops. The door would have been located in the area you've marked as sand/cement wall. Depending on what side you want to hang the door from and the soundness of that area for hinges, if you want the door to open into the room as per the one in the background, it should be possible to do and possibly without changing much of the existing materials/surround. The existing architrave can be reattached or replaced.

With absolutely no disrespect meant, if you're not sure how to tackle this, it might be an idea to get someone in as there can be an art to hanging doors depending on the frame it's being installed into.

Sponsored Links
The rebate looks very narrow. Is it 35mm deep?

A few measurements will help. Distance between the wood uprights and the floor to ceiling height. Distance between the 'sand/cement' sections.

With the visible thickness of the timber I'd say that is a door lining but does seem to be very narrow. Typically such are 5inches wide.

Have a close look at the door lining faces to see if there are indication of hinge cut outs that have been covered up (typically 6" down, 9" up) striker plate cut out will be on opposing side about mid height.

Thanks for your replies

In the wood section
Distance between uprights 63cm
Floor to ceiling 198cm

In the sand/cement section
distance between uprights 67cm
floor to ceiling 200cm
Width (rebate) 3.5 cm

No sign of hinges or cutout on wood part or sand/cement part

I'm sticking by my assertion (maybe wrongly!) that a door has been hung there at some point, although yes the rebate seems narrow. Is it maybe possible no historic sign of hinges etc remains if those areas (marked as sand/cement walls) have been worked on e.g. skimmed or whatever.

More pics would help, a wider shot of the entire frame and also one or two pics of the other door frame (in the background) to see how that compares.

Regardless of whether or not a door did hang there, yes it's possible to install one however a degree of fettling or whatever word you want to use will be required.

Thanks for supplying the opening sizes. Those dimensions are not standard English door sizes.
I would say there has never been a door hung there nor was it ever intended to have one installed*. I doubt if the timber in the aperture is a proper fitted door lining so I'd be very wary of hanging a door without guidance, on site, from skilled (old time) carpenter and joiner.

* Possibly was a pocket door (sliding between the the two faces of the internal walls).

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies

Is it possible to hang a door on the sand/cement render

Thanks for all your replies

Is it possible to hang a door on the sand/cement render
no not a good idea
hinges need a 100% flat and level as well as stable free from water surface
in general the frame gives you the interaction and movement area where 2 materials are fitted next to each other where movement is allowed for and fixing can be over a large area with small surface deviations evened out

So the sand/cement needs cutting back and a frame putting in

So the sand/cement needs cutting back and a frame putting in
Without causing too much damage to the existing finish, perhaps you could check to determine if there's wood beneath the sand/cement rebated section? For example in your pic, do the architrave nails seem like they're going into wood? Either way, yes it's possible to hang a door in that space whether a new frame is required or not.

I think sand/cement all way through from rebate into wall.

Attachments

• 20230512_102230.jpg
    20230512_102230.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back