Door frames, gaps, filling after plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am in the process of renovating my house and have a question regarding door frames, architraves and skirtings that were fitted after plastering and how best to fill gaps.

In a nutshell the previous tradesmen didn't fit the frames prior to plastering so are having to fit them now and make good afterwards.

The carpenter aligned the heads of the frames to be in line with each other; the original frame openings were standard heights but one had a piece of wood like a window sill (internal access garage door) so the head is higher than others where there is no sill (e.g. the WC), where the lintel was inserted by a previous tradesman to the same height as the garage door - in other words too high. In this case the garage door head (left) was lowered to be in line with the WC (right) and doors trimmed as such.

Therefore as you see in this picture, I have two frames with a big gap in the head that the architrave does not cover, that the carpenter left filled with building foam.

What do you guys recommend I do to fill? Cut the foam back and fill?

Attachments

• IMG_20181112_224228.jpg
    IMG_20181112_224228.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 326
Sponsored Links
I would think it needs the foam removing, some EML fitted into the hole bonding then re skimming

It depends whats behind the foam.

I dont need to mention -the liner should have been done prior to plastering. For a proper job it needs the wall re doing

Yes just hack the foam back below the surface of the wall by a few mm and skim over with plaster or filler. I've filled big holes around door frames in exactly this way.

Thanks Notch, yeah I realise things were done wrong way around. This has been a renovation nightmare, almost everyone I've used has screwed me one way or another.

Thanks Gerry, I'll give it a try. The holes are hollow in that they lead to the next room but the foam looks rock solid.

Here's to hoping that the filler doesn't fall out

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An absolute balls up when the door linings go in after the plastering.

As you can see, as a result, the light switch is not in the middle of the two door frames.

Sigh .. yeah I hear you.

I think this shall be my first and last renovation. New builds from now on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back