Door Handle Fixings For Hollow Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hollow door in my house that's been fitted the wrong way round i.e. with the lock block at the hinge side. This was not done by me, I hasten to add. Consequently, the handle has never been very secure and finally it's come off altogether. I'm looking for a permanent solution and come across these back-to-back fixings. However, I can only find them online and the shipping is very expensive. Anyone used these? Any suggestions where I might find them other than online? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it an expensive door? May be better to change the door if it's nowt special.

Turn you door round and fill the holes.

Is it an expensive door? May be better to change the door if it's nowt special.

It's white panelled with a sort of grain, so it's probably quite cheap. But still, say £20 and delivery and someone to fit it. £50? The fixings are £10 for 4 including delivery.

Sponsored Links
where the handles screw on to the door, drill through where the screw are and cut a piece of dowel so you can fix from both sides in to the dowel.
you may need to predrill the dowel so it wont split. you could add a bit of glue to the dowel to fix it to the door.

where the handles screw on to the door, drill through where the screw are and cut a piece of dowel so you can fix from both sides in to the dowel.
you may need to predrill the dowel so it wont split. you could add a bit of glue to the dowel to fix it to the door.

That, sir, is a most excellent idea. Thanks.

15 years of being in the trade and one god awful apprentice. It's not how you mess it up. its how you cover it up

My! That is a splendifferous idea indeed, i normally chuck the handles and get a pair with through bolts to lock them together either side of the door. Of course this only happens when the handles have been rescrewed so many times that there is no longer a fixing left to speak of. Thats a great tip, have you got anymore?

15 years of being in the trade and one god awful apprentice. It's not how you mess it up. its how you cover it up

Hoping to do this job tomorrow. Just curious what diameter dowel you'd use? I guess it's governed by the size of hole you drill and obviously the can't be so big that it is not covered by the handle plate.

it was either 6mm or 8mm but which ever make sure you give it a generous pilot hole

it was either 6mm or 8mm but which ever make sure you give it a generous pilot hole

Job done. Seems good but we'll see if it survives the test of time. The only complication was that the 4 screw holes on the handle plate weren't aligned very well with the screw holes on the other side, so I opted to use a larger dowel to make sure I didn't "miss" with the screws from the other side. I went for 15mm in the end which may have been a bit excessive.

In case someone's interested ....
I drilled the "opening" side of the door (which also happens to be the least important, visually). I figured that if someone's going to yank the handle, it's more likely to be when closing the door, so that side still has the normal screw holes and can't pull the dowels through. I cut the dowels to length and hammered a tack into the centre of one end of each so that I could feed them through the screw holes on the opposite side, in an attempt to align. Put glue on those ends as well and just fed them through. BTW, I probably didn't give the glue enough time to set but all was well. I pulled the tacks out and drilled pilot holes with the dowels in situ. Re-attached handles and voila.

Many thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back