Hollow Door Fitting Handles Problem Locating Req'd Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fitting some new door handles to our interior doors which are hollow. However I would like to use bolt-through fixings but I'm struggling to find what I want to use. The bolts/machine screws that I'm searching for are like a machine screw but with a countersunk raised head to look like a wood screw. This bolt (or machine screw) goes through the door and screws into a short threaded insert which has a countersunk raised head on the end to look like a screw on the other side of the door.

I have no idea what you call this "threaded insert" which adds to the difficulty in me locating this type of fitting.

Does anyone out there know what these are called and does anyone else know where to get them from (in satin nickel).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your doors should have an lock block in the middle or just off abit to on one side, look on the edge ( top/bottom ) and it should read lock, on one side, if not try knocking with your knuckles to hear an thud instead of the hollow sound. hope this makes sence :)

Oh right so what you're saying is that there should be a solid bit around the lock area which can be screwed into?

I'm replacing round door knobs with lever handles and the round ones were bolted through that was all...........

I'll take a closer look and see.

Thanks for the reply.

as markie says, when buying a new hollow core internal door you need to look and see if there is an indicator on the top edge of the door.

this usually says 'lock' or has a key symbol indicating the lock block side.

some of wickes's 'ready fitted' doors have dual lock blocks simply because you have the option of left or right hinge arrangement. this is because the sides are ready chamfered.

also, the absence of an indicator usually means dual lock blocks, or that some muppet has planed or sanded the indicator away. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Right, thanks for the info, the doors aren't new and have been painted so I'll have to do the knock check or something..... I would still prefer to use the bolt through fixings though, if only I could bl**dy find some!

Cheers.

same fixings i use for securing kitchen cabinets together. Collared screws according to hafele, i called em carcass fixings

some doors have a small square hole in the top to show the lock side as well, just in case it gets painted over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back