Door lining advice please :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for reading my (first) post. I have recently had some building work done which included having a new doorway put in through to an adjacent room. This room is still to be decorated so my builder (jack) has not put the architrave on the outside of the frame in the room to be decorated.

It has been pointed out to us that the door frame lining is not wide enough to cover the wall entrance, so Jack has suggested putting an infill of trim on the lining.

My question is, is this standard practice or should he have bought a larger lining kit?

The kit we have is a 32 x 140 however having measured it we need a 150mm which I presume you can get??

I am not a builder or carpenter so can only take his advice but it seems to me he is trying to cut corners which I obviously do not want to do.

Hopefully I have explained the issue well enough, I have shown a couple of pictures to help.

Thanks

Sid

Sponsored Links
The structural opening is just that, an opening. If the frame/lining is smaller, then it's just a case of packing out the sides with timber, and then plastering over (with mesh used too to avoid cracking)

But obviously, the final opening should suit your needs. If you need a larger opening, get a bigger lining. If it is just a lining with no door, then you can make one up. Otherwise, work to door sizes

Thanks for the reply woody. I don't think I explained the issue correctly, it isnt the actual opening size that is the problem - it is the depth of the wall. Since it is a 60's property with brick walls they are thicker than the door lining 140mm) so he is talking about adding more wood which will be visible when the door is open.

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Buy a thicker lining.

Or buy a thinner one, or reduce the one you have, and return the plaster around on one side of the opening

Add-on pieces tend to look like a bodge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back