Building a flush hidden door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a door on my utility room from the kitchen but want it to me flush with the wall. I intend to then wall paper the wall with a digital photo and want to paper the door also. I have seen images of this done but not sure of the construction. Normally for a door a wall would obviously have a door liner and architrave so there is no plastered to the edge. If I still installed a liner with no architraves, then I guess a line would show through the wall paper where the wall meets the wood. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Tricky one this.

You want the whole facade to be seamless so a plastered wall seems the best bet. The problem comes when you finish around the door casing, as you have already suspected.

You could make it so that the plasterboard over-sails the casing, but this would leave a vulnerable edge at the door rebate. The position of the door in the rebate would have to be brought forward also to compensate for additional wall material.

You will also have the door ironmongery (hinges handles etc) to consider.

Lining the walls with ply or hardboard will just provide you with another headache of joints and screw holes etc.

:?: Thinking....

you can wallpaper over a wooden door lining, it will be somewhat liable to damage if you knock or brush against the square edge when passing through, as it must be folded tightly round. A heavily patterned paper would conceal the join, and a vinyl wallcovering would be more durable.

If, after you have papered it, you cut an extra length of paper to hang down to the head of the door, with the join exactly aligned with the edge of the doorfame, the slight line will help to deceive the eye.

Sponsored Links
In these circumstances it is possible to avoid using a timber door frame and architrave. If the timber frame is inserted prior to plastering and a thin coat bead applied to the corner it can be plastered "round the bend". Hinges can be screwed through the bead and "push to close-push to open" catches used. It is possible to paper over the door and then cut round the door with a Stanley knife. The cut edges can be reglued with border adhesive to stop the paper lifting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back