Door lining sets - a conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice fire door lining sets being sold in the shops, but I hear the lining itself is no different from a normal lining except a groove is pre-made in the timber for a intumescent strip so that it can then be called a fire rated lining.

In otherwords there is no difference in the timber, but as the term 'fire rated' is used it sort of implies the timber has in some way been treated with a fire retardant.

Can anyone confirm ?

Sponsored Links
I think they are thicker but definitely not made from those fire proof trees.

Cheers Ian, yeah seems there's nothing in it other than the thickness and the groove. I was right then.

Sponsored Links
I think it's a push too far to imagine some form of retardant treatment, Hawk, although I wouldn't profess to being knowledgeable on fire doors.
The groove for intumescent strip though, would support my assertion that correct fitting (including edging) is the most important aspect of fire doors.
(That, and making sure they're shut when they need to be!)

I agree of course. The problem I have is the way they are marketted as fire rated door linings when the only discernible difference might be a few mm + a groove.

Also confusing if you've been told you need a fire rated door lining, not knowing it's the strip that makes it fire rated and not the timber.

Doesn't specifically require three hinges, but usual practice (to support weight of door, and reduce likelihood of loss of integrity)..

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-doors/

It all goes back to my original point though: if the door wont shut (or stay shut) properly for a decent length of time, it won't be any use as a fire door. Regardless of what it's made from.:)

Door lining is thicker therefore stroger to be able to carry the weight of the much heavier Fire Door. It will need more fixings as well (particularly on the hinge side).

Its only classed as a fire door if its been tested:
"Fire doors need to be able to seal off a space in the event of a fire, while still allowing for a means of escape. They need to have been tested to prove that the particular design will work in a fire. They must be installed properly with the correct components, such as the door frame, and any essential hardware, like hinges. All parts of the door set need to comply for the fire door to work correctly."
https://www.wonkeedonkeexljoinery.c...-doors/fire-doors-for-residential-properties/
And conform to EN 16034

So in theory, it could have that strip, and still fail, if the door is of insufficient quality.

Does replacing an internal door in a ground floor flat have to be fire rated?

Does replacing an internal door in a ground floor flat have to be fire rated?

It depends on the type of Ground Floor Flat Layout,
as with your question regarding the wiring in the Electrical section, I would again advise you to get Professional advice before trying to bodge the job,
You have an obligation of safety to others that live in the property

Fire Doors are constructed differently to standard internal doors mainly of solid wood rather that honeycomb MDF board.

Last edited:
It depends on the type of Ground Floor Flat Layout,
as with your question regarding the wiring in the Electrical section, I would again advise you to get Professional advice before trying to bodge the job,
You have an obligation of safety to others that live in the property

Fire Doors are constructed differently to standard internal doors mainly of solid wood rather that honeycomb MDF board.

Read my previous reply to you. It's more the question of correct information than professional advice. Advice unfortunately comes at a price to most people, perhaps you are one of the lucky ones that gets it for free, and also this is a DIY forum where people generally ask for advice FOR FREE. I didn't ask Bosswhite for a philosophy on fire doors. YOU, are not helping me AT ALL. You don't need to preach to me basic common sense, I really think it makes you beyond pathetic. I wouldn't want your advice.

Also a flat is property within a building. Use the correct terminology.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back