Door lining sets - a conundrum

this is the one I was thinking of. It's not the Dwellinghouses one. Relates to flats. The fire doors are not just on the front door, also on internal doors.

"Means of Escape from Flats" "B1"

See 2.10, etc, 2.13, 2.14. 2.15 and diagram 2 on page 25. Includes an example floor plan with fire doors on rooms opening onto entrance hall. Is this appropriate to your flat? It varies with height.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...chment_data/file/441669/BR_PDF_AD_B2_2013.pdf

Is there some reason why this is not right?

Sponsored Links
Would not apply in this case as the flat is ground floor with rear access to outside through the kitchen.

Diagram 4 page 24 notes ''the bedrooms are not classified as inner rooms because escape is possible in two directions''

Sponsored Links
although the existing door is a 44mm fire door, isn't it?

Is it a flat faced door, is there anything like FD30 marked on the top of it, and is it solid and heavy, and does it have a self closer on it.

If it is, then it might be better to fit a similar one, but that still doesn't mean that you have to fit intumnescent strips.

It's heavier than a normal 35mm but then I'd expect that.

From above (no markings) :

IMG_20170502_081457.jpg

Door furniture removed :

IMG_20170502_081525.jpg

Inside the existing mortice :

IMG_20170502_081538.jpg

There was a asbestos survey on the flat(s) and some of the front doors contained asbestos but I'm almost certain thinking about it this related to the communal front doors. No mention of internal doors in any flat(s) containing asbestos and I know plenty of them still have these original doors still within them. The surveyor gained access to a few flats with consent and would have picked this up. There is still a slim chance I suppose.

The construction of the door (what is going on inside) perhaps someone will know. I think if there is a chance there's a flame retardant in it, it's completely disintegrated by now.

It has a lot of the characteristics of a fire door, and then again it doesn't; but at the end of the day, being an internal door, it's immaterial. If you decide to change it for a different type, then you'll just need to move the door stops, and the lock position, and then use some filler to pull things together.

the heavy fire doors are good for blocking noise, but that might not matter in a 1 bed flat. I do like the substantial feel of them though.

In my house people can't hear an ordinary doorbell or the burglar alarm in the back bedrooms, had to get extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back