1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Door stands

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by ^woody^, 23 Oct 2018.

1. ^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone recommend any particular type of door stand (to hold doors upright when working on for hanging)?

Ones from Trend, or the "magic door gripper clamp" or a home made type?

If from Trend, are you using a single unit successfully, or are two units better for keeping the door rigid?

2. KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Way back in the day, I used a Feather Splitter.

It was used with a chisel, the splitter rocking on the chisel, one foot can easily "control" the door position, up, down, and when you get comfortable left and right movement is easily attained by rotating your foot in the desired direction?

Never had commercially available kit "back in the day"

• Like Like x 1
  3. lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just for removing or hanging when the hinges are on I have found no better way that to use Winbags ,Aka air wedges

• Like Like x 1
  4. JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Door stand - feather splitter????

I presume you mean chopping out hinge recesses, lock mortises, etc before swinging the doors. I've made-up softwood door stands from 4 x 2in CLS for years. Used to make them with a wedge cut from the side, but more recently started to do them with a fairly tight slot and the thinnest of connecting pieces between the two ends so that popping a wedge beneath one of the feet causes the jaws to nip in and hold the door. One door stand is normally enough unless I'm working on huge doors (e.g. old bank doors, etc). I do have a couple of pairs of those Magic Grippers (a present) and they are pretty nifty, but it's yet another piece of kit to carry in the van so I find myself using them rarely: I have to say, though, that on all the new build/extension stuff I've done for a few years the doors come pre-hung - it's only on the refurbs/listeds that I actually get involved in properly fitting doors these days

As LostInTheLight says those Winbags (and the Chinese knock-offs) can be good for getting a perfect fit in the opening (gapping), too, when used in conjunction with graduated horseshoe packers

Last edited: 23 Oct 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Must admit I assumed that Woody was looking for a method of balancing a door once the hinges had been fitted, that is actually balancing a door as you are hanging the door, not just fitting the hinges??

Ken

6. ^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was referring to hanging new doors and how best to hold them upright while working on the edges.

7. SammyInnit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bit of 2x and ply gussets no good?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. ^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe.

I've got quite a few doors to hang this weekend and over the next few weeks, and could not decide whether to buy the holders or knock some up. If I knock some up, I really wanted to make a nice set, spring loaded like the magic clamps, but might not have the time for that. So may end up with a bit of 4x2 and a wedge.:(

9. foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I put one end in workmate , works fine . Or cut slots to match doors thickness in a couple or 4x2’s and fix a small ply base plate to stop them rolling over .

10. lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is a pretty quick and solid way for hinges,locks 3B74AEBC-39B3-4AFC-80B1-1F16E10B0B42.jpeg ?

• Like Like x 2
  11. ^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  12. Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We use big timber wedges in a a simple baseplate, quick to knock up and holds door solid for routing etc