dot and dab over suit soot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will dot and dab adhesive stick to soot on brickwork and how would I prep the wall. Its where a chimney breast has been removed. Ive removed all I can with a wire brush and scrapper but the bricks are still stained black

Sponsored Links
There is a strong likelihood that the soot will 'bleed' through the dabs and find its way to the surface of the board. You may want to think about battening this part of the wall.

the chimney area is recessed so i need to build it out with a piece of plasterboard. there will with 2 layers of dabs and 2 layers plasterboard for it to go though and then the wall it to be tiled anyway. Plus the soot area is only like 12 inch's wide so if need be ill generally try and avoid the soot plus ive brought all the dot and dab adhesive :) and dont really want to loose much space.

Will it stick ok to the soot where it needs to

Sponsored Links
You would do well to post a pic of the opening.

If you have removed all removable traces of soot, and had the flue swept and smoke tested then you will have to blind and seal the flue brickwork with two coats of SBR. First coat dry, second coat tacky for applying a sand and lime or a sand and cement mix render. Apply the render in two or three coats. Dont use any gypsum or D&D adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back