Double dimmer switch wiring and which type to buy...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, basically have one of them fan/light combos in the middle of living room with a bulb in centre and 4 surrounding it, with 2 chains to switch modes. Also have 4 corner spotlights. These are wired to a double dimmer switch and always have been as long as I have been alive.

Switched them on the other day, and a burning smell was coming from the light switch, so opened the switch and was sparking going on inside, so I am looking to replace the switch, and wondered which type to buy, and whether it was even advisable to have a dimmer switch on a fan/light combo....

Please advise, I am going to isolate from the consumer box, before touching anything inside, so don't worry... :)

Sponsored Links
Hi all, basically have one of them fan/light combos in the middle of living room with a bulb in centre and 4 surrounding it, with 2 chains to switch modes. Also have 4 corner spotlights. These are wired to a double dimmer switch and always have been as long as I have been alive.
Are you sure about that? How old are you and how old is the property and the circuit wiring?
Switched them on the other day, and a burning smell was coming from the light switch, so opened the switch and was sparking going on inside,
Not wanting to stay alive much longer then!
so I am looking to replace the switch, and wondered which type to buy, and whether it was even advisable to have a dimmer switch on a fan/light combo....
Do you have some more detail with regards to the type and load of lamps being dimmed and the dimmer type and load requirements being used
Please advise, I am going to isolate from the consumer box, before touching anything inside, so don't worry... :)
You should have done that first, before removing dimmer plate, I also suggest you acquire a two pole voltage indicator before you go any further!

Running a motor on a dimmer designed to dim lights is not best practise. It often appears to work, the dimmer controls the speed of the motor.

The dimmer will be operating outside of its design parameters and the probability of it failing is very much higher than when it is dimming lamps only.

But opening a switch that is giving out a burning burning smell with the power still on is so stupid one wonders if it is sensible to have electricity in the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back